How Many Tool Holders Do you Have?

All my previous large lathes are within walking distance ! :grin: Only one thing better than owning a shop .................................having close friends that own shops .

I'm on the lookout for an HLV-H with metric/standard gearbox only . I see them but damn they are up there . The last one I was after went for over 18K . One of the reasons I have to sell un-needed stuff to get what I want .

The correct number of tool holders to have at any given time is n.

The number of toolholders you currently have is n-1.

n+1
is the number of toolholders where your wife will leave you.

From here it should be easy to see how it works. This rule applies to other things as well, like motorcycles, project cars, and eBay boxes of NOS abrasives. Make sense?

pontiac428 ... Do I love that answer and it is true for just about anything. Well done!​

Chewy - I was an apprentice lift truck mechanic in 1976. I had NO tools except for a Craftsman tote box with whatever it came with. A Journeyman whom I would not call a mentor, but absolutely integral to my rise in that Chicago-based field would lend me any tool he had with the only caveat that I returned it clean. I learned then if I used it once and it saved me time or aggravation, it paid for itself. I kept that philosophy throughout my employee period and 24 years as a businessman. That thought process served me well and I continue that in Retirement (though the tools may not be Snap-On... :confused:). Good to hook with someone who thinks the same!​

John​

I have eleven. Planning on adding three more because I have fourteen spaces on my tool holder rack. Only one is vacant at the present.

I have 52. They just kind of accumulate. Two or three are empty and there are probably a dozen with tools that I don't really use - at least anymore. I can always find one to free up if I find a tool I'd rather have in there.

GsT

The number of toolholders you currently have is n-1.
Your math doesn't account for multiple lathes with different size toolposts. BXA (about 27) on one lathe, DA (about 10) on the other.

Looks like the final count is 75 (all BXA size).

Bruce

Six spares in a tool box with a seventh one that's dedicated to a spring-winding jig.
1695820535770.png

Clausing 5418 lathe
1695820652240.png

Looks like 25 of them at the Clausing
1695820726547.png

Grizzly G0709
1695820811590.png

Looks like 43 of them at the Grizzly (40 on the rack, 3 on the headstock with oddball tools for a current job)
1695820915979.png

Back