How much lathe......

finsruskw

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What might I reasonably expect to purchase in the $2000 to $2500 range?
I am thinking used w/maybe some tooling and a QCTP.
What brands should I expect to be out there?
Willing to travel reasonable distance for the right deal.
Thanks guys!!

That's a very open-ended question. It all depends on what's for sale around you, what you're looking for, and who else is looking. Last year I bought a Lodge and Shipley with a 36 inch swing for $450 at an auction. It's 100 years old, but seems hardly used. I will need a total disassembly and cleaning, but I think it's in great shape from what I've seen so far.

Somebody closer to your area will probably have an idea of what's generally available and what the prices usually run. But, sometimes you can stumble across a great deal if the timing is right.

Keeping my eyes open on C/L.
I see a lot of what appears to be junk, but then the mill I bought last spring wasn't really an eye catcher either before it was cleaned up.

I have all winter to look though as my part time driving gig won't crank up till late march or so.
Thanks for the reply!!

This one popped up recently.
A friend told me not walk but to run away from it!!

lathe.jpg

Last edited:
2K should get you a 14x40 with a respectable amount of tooling. If you're able, expand your search to include Illinois and possibly Indiana - you'll see a lot more equipment as you get closer to the lakes.
Also, spring is a good time to look - people dig out after winter, decide to get rid of that hunk of metal in the garage to make room for jet-skis and ATVs.

Did he say why? Old doesn't necessarily mean bad. Has a QC, and a taper attachment, and doesn't look to have been horribly abused. I would recommend finding someone who knows lathes ( possibly from this forum ) in your area to assess it's condition. If the price is right, it may be just the thing. Mike

Quote: This one popped up recently.
A friend told me not walk but to run away from it!!

It would help answer your question if you tell us a bit more about what you plan on using
the machine for. Also, pricing depends on where you live, so folks in your area can give you a better reading on
what machines should cost. Is your friend knowledgable enough to evaluate the condition of a lathe?
If so, it might be worth a look. If it's all there, runs right and isn't worn out it could be a good machine.

For what it's worth, that lathe looks like a diamond in the rough, like mine when I got it. Appears to have a taper attachment also. I see that you are in Iowa so I will let you in on a secret, I found my 13" lathe on the website wisconsinsurplus.com, paid about $1800 for it including tax and buyers premium. A lot of school districts in Wisconsin sell off there old lathes in the spring time when they are updating their shops.
Richard

Last edited:
I use the search engine Search Tempest for my shopping. Google "Search Tempest" for the link. It goes through Craig's List, eBay and Amazon. You can enter filters like distance, price range, etc. Here are a few in your area plus Nebraska and Kansas. Happy hunting!

Bruce

Old South Bend for $950

Looks to be a Clausing 5914 for $3000. I have a Clausing 5418; I've always been fond of their machines

9" South Bend with a QCGB for $1500 with some tooling

Clausing 5914 with a taper attachment for $2400

Clausing 5914 with some tooling and a Royal 5C collet closer for $2500

Logan 12x24 (?) for $1250

Back