How much lathe......

Thanks again fella's for the replies and advise.
I can assure you a new anything from the Chi-Coms is not an option although the Jet mill I believe is from Taiwan.

This popped up on FB near here
For sale is a good used Clausing 1300 lathe. Pretty tight yet, don’t have chuck, tool post, or tailstock for it. Currently setup for 3 phase, can be converted. Open to trades and offers [hidden information]

1577137685225.png

I know my way around a shop for sure having maintained my own trucks and construction equipment over the years and my oldest son is no slouch either when it comes to building things. I wish I could find a picture of the welding table he built 2 years ago.

Here'[s a shot of a cabinet I built back in '98 for installation on the Pete I had at that time.tool box-1.jpg

l

Avoid bare machines. The cost of tooling alone makes that prohibitive.

+1 to this.
A decent 3-jaw and 4-jaw chuck will set you back at least $600-$800 for the pair. Tailstock for that machine might be really hard to find. Which could equal expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The taper attachment alone (in the first pic) brings over $500.

In addition, be aware that if you get a lathe, you’ll need a mill. If you get a mill, you’ll need a lathe. Then there are the accessories...and then the tools. There is so much fun ahead of you!

Makes one wonder WTH happened to the rest of it, huh?
Just an example of what is available around here.
I fully expect to have to pay for a decent piece.
Will keep my eyes open for sure.
Any thoughts on the logan at the bottom of that list of pic's
It's only about 3 hrs away from me.

Edit:
Winegrower....
Already have a mill and what you say is proving to be true!!

if you don't want to figure out new challenges then probably machining isn't the right hobby for you.
This right here is the very guts of this discussion. Well Said!!

Hah,
This all started a few years back, ”honey, do we have $2,200 laying around?”. She asked why I needed $2,200, I said there is a 13” South Bend Lathe down in Carmel. She says, “what is a lathe?”
Yep, it snowballs and snowballs

Thanks Matthew, well said indeed.
I realize there are no garrantees in this or any other hobby.
That's why I'm here asking questions, to hopefully learn enough to make a wise decision.

Back