How much would you pay for this box of end mills

strantor

Active User
Registered
Impulse purchase I found on marketplace. It was my first time buying one of these "mix bag" tooling lots.

Screenshot_20221122-174515_Chrome.jpg
20221122_173817.jpg

The first 5 end mills I pulled out were in good condition so I didn't even try to haggle. He was asking $100 and I figured if there were at least another 5 good pieces in there it was worth it.

Later on at home I looked over what I had bought and while it wasn't as great as I thought it might be based on my brief sample, it wasn't horrible. I didn't count them but there's at least 100 pieces and they break down roughly like this:

Good, usable endmills: 40%
Weird, re-purposed, hand re-ground singular purpose used-to-be endmills: 30%
Destroyed garbage: 20%
Other: 10%

HSS: 90%
Carbide:10%

1/8"-1/4": 10%
>1/4"-3/8": 10%
>3/8"-1/2": 40%
>1/2-3/4": 35%
>3/4": 5%

I didn't see a single Cheap import in the lot. All good quality brands and I suspect most or all of them are older than I am (35).

So, how much would you have paid for this?

Also, what the heck are these? They seem almost like rifle chamber reamers but in absurdly high calibers.

20221122_173807.jpg

You did not loose for $100 from how you described. If the tool box came with it that was an added $25

Cutting oil is my blood.

I like the little tool box...more pictures of the box please.
I think you did good. There are many occasions where the HSS will work better.
There appears to be a good variety.
These will also be great to learn with because carbide can be kinda fragile sometimes.
Also, you will learn by looking at these tools where the wear points are a and d with HSS you can stone a cutting edge.

A quick search on Amazon for "end mill assortment" show about $17 for 10 pieces of Chinese HSS, guaranteed to last a least one cut through soft pine. (That's not actually true. There is no such guarantee).

I'd jump on that. If you have a sharpening jig, you did spectacular.

I think many of us have come upon one of these deals and thought why not. That’s the good thing about it being a hobby, just make sure the ones you put into the pass around box are good ones.

John

Good buy! Sounds like you got your money's worth, and then some.
Those last reamers are curious. Definitely not chamber reamers (which are almost always (always?) straight-fluted), but also not taper reamers, which is what I thought before looking harder. Perhaps custom?

GsT

Impulse purchase I found on marketplace. It was my first time buying one of these "mix bag" tooling lots.

So, how much would you have paid for this?

Also, what the heck are these? They seem almost like rifle chamber reamers but in absurdly high calibers.

View attachment 427609
They kinda look like they're MT taper reamers. Congratulations on a good score!

PS - You might want to look at the recent thread on sharpening end mills. Here's my post to that thread, including a link to Gruschow, a service somebody recommended:

Back