How NOT to throw your lathe chuck key through the windshield of your Porsche!

This seems like a really good way to manage the risk.

can one of you electrical types help me figure out the wiring on my G0752 so I can add this to my lathe? I'm not sure if it is going to be exactly the same as the G0602 but that would cover a lot of us home shop folks.

jim

I had a Sherline chuck jaw go flying when I was using it to hold a too-large hole saw in the Unimat. I still haven't found it.

Just saying, the key didn't fly out of the chuck with great force, as I once feared it would.

I have a picture around here somewhere of a chuck key sticking out of the ceiling........Nearly took my head off!.....:yikes:

Depending on the lathe, and where the chuck key is when it turns on, and how many revolutions it makes before centrifugal force takes over....

The best solution is to never take your hand off the chuck key while it's in the chuck

This is what I was taught by a co-worker many, many years ago and it has stuck. I never remove my hand from the chuck key unless the key is in its holder.

I left the key in once years ago scared me enough I haven't done it again. Somebody at my work left one in last month I didn't see anything but knew what happened just from the sound of it.

When I was much younger,I left the DRILL PRESS key in the chuck twice. Both times,it managed to hit me right on my sternum,where it is bony! Surprising how much momentum it could gather going around 3/4 of a turn.

Excellent idea! I have a bad habit of multi-tasking and I left the key in my Vectrax 14x40 with the lathe set on 1400 RPM. Luckily, I wasn't in the way and it just hit the floor. I was thinking of attaching it to a bungee cord so I'd have to stretch it out a bit to get to the chuck with the key, but this is a little bit classier.

lots of really cool projects there, thanks! As the thread on HSM seems to have degenerated the way they always do when any actual machine work gets discussed, I'll ask again here - any plans on a tach for the spindle, now that you have variable speed from the DC motor?

Thanks for the kind words....Man, it really did go crazy over there, didn't it. They even insulted my car!!!! Wow! They have no souls......:rofl:

I had a bicycle digital speedometer hooked up to the lathe and I calibrated it for the spindle diameter. It worked great, but I found I wasn't using it. My use for the lathe revolves around 6061 aluminum motorcycle parts and 416 Stainless for rifle barrels. And nothing much over 2" in diameter. So the speeds are known. But that said, I just found a link to a company that make a real nice tachometer for lathes in a kit form. Would be fun to build one ...just because....

The variable speed really comes in handy for final surface finish. You can visually dial it right in. A very nice feature.

Back