How NOT to throw your lathe chuck key through the windshield of your Porsche!

HSM can go jump. It's always a dog fight over there.

One of my biggest fears in my small shop is not removing the chuck key from the lathe and accidentally starting it up and flinging it through the windshield of my "baby".....

I figured out a way to solve this and wrote a quick article with lots of pictures on my web site

www.rvbprecision.com

Hope you enjoy it!

I am am not an electrical guy, but could you use a magnetic contact to close the circuit and avoid the possibility of mechanical malfunction?

Love this idea and have a stash of microswitches somewhere from when I owned pinball games.

This may not be allowed but can someone post a link to the thread on hsm? May sound childish but I would like to see it so I can compare the forum demeanor to this one. If it shouldn't be posted can someone pm it to me. Thanks

When I saw the lathe on its side I remembered this video ot the idiot in shop class trying to show how strong he was by holding the chuck key and starting the lathe. http://youtu.be/ajNdLT4exps

A switch like you suggested should be in every shop class.

Chris

Adding an micro switch interlock is a great idea as it is efficient, foolproof and a needed safety factor, just added it to my long list of needs. Bob

Adding an micro switch interlock is a great idea as it is efficient, foolproof and a needed safety factor, just added it to my long list of needs. Bob
I prefer fool resistant! I have learned not to underestimate fools.

John

I am am not an electrical guy, but could you use a magnetic contact to close the circuit and avoid the possibility of mechanical malfunction?

There are several other sensors that can be used to detect the presence of an object. Magnetic reed switches, Hall effect switches, photo-optical and proximity sensors are among them. Most of these require some additional interface to handle the current of a power contactor coil. Limit switches are simple & robust. They are probably the best choice for this application.

The first thing we learned in shop class, and greatly stresses at that is that one NEVER leaves the key in a chuck; that was drummed in and reinforced in apprenticeship. I have to agree with the poster who, if he saw a chuck wrench or key left in a chuck, he would fling it into a dark or inaccessible place. I had a machine shop business for 35 years, and employed many local kids and taught them machine work; that would be the first lesson, and I can be sure they all remember it.

Back