How reliable is 'Matt' at PM?

All,

I just received a sincere off line communication from someone indicating the wait time for one of Matt's machines was excessive and thus, canceled the order... It's unfortunate when these things happen but, it's a reality. I'd like to share w/you the response that was sent. -And BTW, I'm not suggesting any displeasure about responding to these things and as a matter of fact, as a friend of Matt, I don't mind trying to help out and provide level-headed responses. -No names or identities are mentioned....

EDIT: The intent here, is to tell you the "real-deal" about how things sometimes are in case you should find yourself in this position.

Hi...

... Intro redacted ....

Anyhow, ordering equipment like this is the same as ordering a car that's not in stock at any of the local dealers. It often takes months. BTW, places like Grizzly have the same problem. If you look at their catalog, a particular item might often say "Out of stock until XYZ time-frame" where "XYZ time-frame" is 4-6 months out.

The factories in Asia making these things can only turn-out so many a year and do their best to keep up but, these are not high profit margin items. When things get backed-up, throwing more money/resources to clear the backlog is not an option -unless they decide to work for free that month. The factory makes 5% and the typical local dealer makes between 10 to 15% -but out of that, you need to subtract shipping costs -and in Matt's case, he goes the extra step to actually inspect the machines before sending them.

As far as him not returning calls, in a case like this, he's very honest... and if the factory will not commit to a date, he will not make-up a date just to make you happy. When in fact he gets confirmation from the factory, he then calls/emails all the customers and updates them. Once he gets them, it could take between 2-4 weeks for him to process the orders because, he actually does uncrate, modify to the customer's specs and test them. He process them in the order in which the orders were placed -and the only exception is for people who have service contracts.

Unfortunately, buying equipment like this is not like buying a toaster oven at Walmart... -Way more complicated than that...

Ray

Last edited:
Been dealing with PM & Matt for 3 + years now with a smile. I own a PM-45 & PM-1127 VFLB.

Sometimes he gets back to me in a hour some times a few days, he eventually gets back to me. I look at it like this way if I need it that bad I should have planned better or plan B it.

The 1127 lb has its place and is a awesome machine. I use my machine everyday on BBL work. If you need a 1.5 spindle and have a small footprint like me then he is the guy.

I waited for mine and he'll I would wait again. I plan on buying a 13x40 in the next 12 months I do to much threading and the gear change is a handy cap.

let me start by saying, I never met the guy but I know a couple of top shelf tool and die makers who say Matt is a very respected machinist and a good man

I have met both Matt and Nicole and have visited the shop. I purchased a PM 932 Mill and a PM 1340GT lathe and I am very pleased with both machines. When I needed a cold saw, there was no question on where I was going to get the best price and the best service so I picked up the phone and ordered a PM from Matt. I recognize that Matt is very busy delivering product and keeping his customers serviced. It goes without saying that if you need something done, go to the person who is busy and he/she will deliver. I don't recommend going to a slacker if you expect good product and good service. I have found Matt to be a hard worker, reliable, and very good at running his business.

Hi 7HC,
I like your bug. I just tried to kill it - what's the H*** is a bug doing on my screen in Jan. in Canada? At least I only tried to kill it a couple of times.
Michael

Hi 7HC,
I like your bug. I just tried to kill it - what's the H*** is a bug doing on my screen in Jan. in Canada? At least I only tried to kill it a couple of times.
Michael

It's doing its job then! Just don't damage your screen trying to 'rub it out'!

M

Howdy folks,

like several others on this forum I have been shopping for a mill and a lathe for quite a while. With limited time and limited knowledge of what to look for in used machines I chose to buy new thinking the outcome would at least be semi-predictable.

I've read glowing reviews for Matt and Quality Machine Tool as well as not so elated reviews. Always gonna be some nuts out there that will never be happy. :nuts: After looking, reading and comparing venders, features and machines for quite some time. Around the 1st of October 2013 I sent Matt a email asking about several machines on his site that showed no specs and no prices. Day or so later he responds and we email back and forth with the normal question answer sort of thing...

After several semi sleepless nights I decieded to buy the 9x35 single phase, variable speed, power cross feed, loaded out with the Easson 12 DRO. Matt said he had two machines in stock like I wanted. He priced me some tooling and he shot me a invoice for the total. I said slap my name on the pretty one and mailed him a check. Looks like it cleared the bank on about the 28th of October.... Cool deal

Two or three months go by I constantly check the spamblocker to make sure he is not trying to get hold of me. I'm getting walls and ceiling up.... wire roughed in, walls painted. Nothing from Matt yet.... Everyone says Matt is very busy... Just be patient and he will come through...
my shop is ready for the mill so I move on to other projects while I wait to hear from Matt.

Reading here on the forum recently, I see other guys claiming to get their mill with in a month!
So I send Matt a email (April 9th) and mentioned others getting their mill within one month. Said I was a little surprised my wait was so long for a in stock machine. Said I am not sure what to do here. What's up? I hear nothing but crickets chirping.....

i sent Ray C (QMT sales rep) a message asking if Matt has been away from the office. Ray mentioned he had installed a lathe for a customer but had been around. Sent Ray another message asking if there were any 9x35 mills in stock.... Sold or unsold.... He said one step pully was in stock but the VS models were all sold out. Have more in stock in a couple months..... Maybe

By this time 5 or 6 days have passed and still nothing from Matt.....
i sent him another email saying his lack of response really had me spooked! Let's just call it quits.. Just send me back my money and no harm done....

April 21st I still have heard nothing from Quality Machine Tool
Dude has $8500.00 of my money and won't send me a email? I'm really scared...

Glitch,

You'll get the mill. I ordered my 935 the last week in September and received it in mid February. It is a slow process for overseas product. I was also bouncing off the walls wondering if I was ever going to get it.

Rick

I do not know Matt personally, although I have found him to be easy to communicate with. I have had many conversations and email exchanges with Ray C.

I would not be scared. I have seen too many people post too much information about dealing with Matt to believe that he would keep your money and your mill. My suggestion is that, if Matt is out of the country and unavailable, you contact someone else at PM. I don't remember her name, but Matt has an assistant that other folks have had great success in dealing with.

Glitch,

You'll get the mill. I ordered my 935 the last week in September and received it in mid February. It is a slow process for overseas product. I was also bouncing off the walls wondering if I was ever going to get it.

Rick

@ Stonebrier .... I was told there were two of these machines in stock. I told Matt to slap my name on one if them. I understand your wait if it had to be ordered from Taiwan.

Back