How to avoid running into my chuck on power feed.

Our L&S has carriage offers stop that is an additional control rod.

It kicks out the drive when hit.

South Bend has no provisions for same so you need to pay attention to the machine and remember to release clutch a bit ahead of time and feed manually.

The carriage stop is made for stopping carriage with hand feed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Some SB lathes only have the half nuts for z axis feed, like my 9C.
I think small Atlas are the same.
Thank you for correcting my axis naming! (is that just a CNC thing? how long has it been around?) - BTW, has anyone ever used the y axis on their lathe? :)

Our L&S has carriage offers stop that is an additional control rod.

It kicks out the drive when hit.

The Takisawa lathe has an additional control bar parallel to the lead and drive screws with 4 adjustable stops, that can be instantly rotated into position and removed the same way. They put up an arm that trips the feed mechanism and stops the carriage. It repeats to about 0.01” maybe, works for longitudinal feed but not for half nut threading. Which is too bad, that would really be a good feature.

Frankly letting the lathe run unattended and relying on this feature would not be the target use for me, but i have set it up as a kind of fail safe backup, in case some thing that shines goes by.

Cool! Mine came with the original SouthBend milling attachment, it's cute. I did a project or two with it and then bought a mill (ha!)
I actually bought my mill/drill before I got my lathe.
Project priorities.........
Now I am looking at a 3D printer...........

dbb-the-bruce my lathe is a craftsman 12x36. These lathes do not have a clutch like the 10K to engage the lead screw for turning. The QCGB in addition to threading also has settings for moving the carriage for turning. I use the carriage stop as a guide whenever I need to stop the carriage at a precise location whether I am cutting threads or just turning. It is particularly handy when threading or boring a blind hole.

Back