How to best seal leaky GoldenRod oilers

I found some cheap oilers on Amazon that don't appear to have bottom seams. At any rate they don't leak.

Smitty

After you put oil in them, most of the possibilities for repair will no longer fix the leaks. It would be quite difficult and time consuming to try to get all the oil out of the crimped joints for certain so an attempted repair might be successful.

Err, no.

Put the oiler in a vat of acetone overnight.
Empty of acetone and let air out the rest of the day.
Then use silver solder using zinc-chloride as flux around the rim.

{silver solder 900ºF not silver brazing wire 1300ºF}

Oddly I haven't had leak problems with Goldenrod oilers, I have 4 now. All were purchased direct from Dutton-Lainson. I wonder if maybe some of the Goldenrods are counterfeit.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I just bit the bullet and bought 2 Reilangs from eBay. I'm going to try the silver solder on the Goldenrods to see if I can fix them too.

You won't regret it. Reilangs will dispense oil right side up, upside down or sideways and they do not leak. And they are rebuildable. The bottle is formed from a solid piece of aluminum billet or is a casting on other models so it cannot leak. I find them to have much finer control of the amount dispensed - squeeze a little, get a little; squeeze a lot, get a lot. Best oilers I've ever used, bar none.

Hydro formed from what I found out. I have 2....

If I had the problem, I would find a way to be able to put about 2-4 psi on it by replacing the cap with something I could pressurize the body with. Put some acetone in it, swirl it around and then let it sit with the light pressure. The next day I would take some of my West Marine two part epoxy with some thickening agent in it and put some in the bottom and roll the can at a 20 degree angle or so from vertical and let the epoxy get in it. Might even put 1-2 psi on it to force it into the cracks and you will be good to go!

I recently bought 2 GoldenRod oilers. I noticed in the Amazon reviews that many complained they leak as received. I bought them anyway and of course, they leak. They apparently leak down at the bottom seam. What's the best way to seal them? Silicone, JB Weld, brazing...?

Consider oil that gums up. Drain, put a spoonful of boiled linseed oil in, and set aside for a while (should
cure in a week). If you're in a hurry, add some Japan drier. Nothing sticks to oiled surfaces better than a sticky oil.
I think it needs to oxidize, so circulating fresh air into the can will help.

Mikey, is right.
Got mine here. Not cheep but they do not leak anywhere.

"It is as precious as a swiss watch and is inherited from generation to generation." :rolleyes:

I have no complaints about my Goldenrod oiler I bought at the local hardware store. I put oil in and it squirts out when I pump the lever. It lives on the catch pan under my lathe so I've never even noticed if it leaks.

Cheers,

John

Back