How to clamp my AR15 upper reciever?

ebgb68

Active User
Registered
Hello guys I'm new to this forum and very green to milling metals. I picked up a older bridgeport copy mill and need a way to clamp my first project.
I need to clamp this upper reciever to open up the port to .550. The cheaper drill press vise I have is not deep enough. Would flat stock hold or should I make deeper jaws? I'm nervous that I might ruin a two hundred dollar upper If it's not done right.
Thanks Ed
7366380b4359428d22d09abf4cb2fc58.jpg

7366380b4359428d22d09abf4cb2fc58.jpg

I assume the ejection port? How about making a fixture that will hold it by the rail and mount the fixture to the vise?

Dave

AR upper vise jaw pad_.jpg would this work? It's aluminum. They also make them in HDPE, but I figure it wouldn't be strong enough to hold the upper still.

Roy

AR upper vise jaw pad_.jpg

Are you converting this to .50 Beowulf? If so, you might want to consider getting a Beowulf dedicated upper.

It's for a 450 bushmaster . I need to figure out how the head tilts otherwise the vise will have to tilt.

QUOTE=roygpa;237495]View attachment 85781 would this work? It's aluminum. They also make them in HDPE, but I figure it wouldn't be strong enough to hold the upper still.

Roy[/QUOTE]
That part that holds the rail is wood ? That would be easy enough to copy with a table saw. The question I have is how much pressure does it take to hold the upper still ? I need to mill the shoulder out where the door contacts the upper from the catch forward around to the hinge .

You can use 2 vises to get the angle . Hold the part on one vice and then by going up or down you will set the angle.

Back