How to equip a PM 935

Definitely right about the Bill Gates thing although I do expect to spend the cost of the mill + on tooling over the next year or so. Thanks so much for your comments, that's exactly the kind of advice/comments I'm looking for. Is there a reason you went with collets/drill chuck/vise other than what Matt at PM sells? AND, thoughts on the Z & Y axis drives - glad you spent $ on them or could you have added them later?
Alex

When I purchased my mill I don't think Matt had the tooling listed on the PM website. I was familiar with Glacern and they run periodic sales so I have a number of their tools.

I would get the drives you want installed by PM with the mill purchase. They are very handy and in my opinion necessary for some mill opps.

No one has listed an index head as an item they'd want or a rotary table both of which I kind of thought would be high on the list.
Alex

I have both a rotary table and BS-1 indexer for my 935, but don't consider them items that I needed right away when I bought my machines. My 'must have' first items were cutters, collets, chucks, and a vise. And a good quality DRO.

I added the power feeds on my X and Z axis as funds permitted. My little 6" rotary table was a carry-over from a smaller machine, and I only just recently acquired the index head to do some more complex setups.

Acquiring tools/tooling is an ongoing process that lasts long after the initial machine purchase. :D

On the Glacern keyless chuck the the arbor fractured probably from the clamping force when self tightening. In the picture below you can see the fractures extend from each jaw. I also did not care for the clamping and using a pin type wrench, had a few times where the chuck over tightened and was difficult to untighten. I prefer the slotted wrench used on the Llambrich, and I find it holds bits more securely. I think the Glacern is fine for most small bits up to 1/2", just do not try to use it for hole saws or anything larger. I now only use a keyed chuck for hole saws or any bit/shank with flutes like silver & deming drills.

Alex, I agree with Bill, a rotary table is very handy, I have a Super Dex or Super indexing type which is both vernier and has indexing plates. It comes with an 8" table and also a 6" set-tru type 3J scroll chuck. Very handy, and also very heavy. I only use it for holding larger stock like making a lathe spider or I need very fine indexing movement for scribing dials. Otherwise for stock 1" and smaller I use 5C collets in collet blocks, or one can get an indexer. So a rotary table/indexer is nice, but not a must have depending on the work you plan on doing and looking at cost/use ratio. Also shipping is killer on the rotary tables.

Glacern Chuck Fracture.jpg

JK-130-R8.jpg

I have both a rotary table and BS-1 indexer for my 935, but don't consider them items that I needed right away when I bought my machines. My 'must have' first items were cutters, collets, chucks, and a vise. And a good quality DRO.

I added the power feeds on my X and Z axis as funds permitted. My little 6" rotary table was a carry-over from a smaller machine, and I only just recently acquired the index head to do some more complex setups.

Acquiring tools/tooling is an ongoing process that lasts long after the initial machine purchase. :D
As you note tools are an ongoing never ending quest, I'm just trying to save myself a bit of $ on shipping which into Canada is often a bit more both in $ and hassle. That said it's only true if the stuff comes in one order - in this case from PM. So a big part of how much I get up front is tied to how much I use Matt as a supplier.

Well, I did commit to a 935 TS mill from Matt and also ordered his band saw as well. Shipping won't be for a couple of months so I've got time to stew about decsions on power feeds, chucks, etc. I did order it with the Easson DRO tho' as I've one on my lathe and like it. Thanks to Both the David's, Mark, Bill, Rich, Blue-Luke and 7 miles up for the input. The time and energy and help are appreciated.
Alex

Alex, I don't think I saved much if anything, maybe a few hundred on the entire shipment.

The broker I used took a week to clear the machines and I spent days back and forth with Matt getting paperwork as the shipment comes listed as all the individual parts so they needed the import codes for every single piece.

I would not recommend it as a way to save money, but technically it should cut down on delivery time.

The problem with LCL shipments is after the container arrives at the destination port (Vancouver in this case), the container gets delivered to a warehouse and then it's broken down which increases costs and time.

We import parts from China for our business and they are also shipped LCL, after the first few shipments it all runs smoothly, with these machines it's a one-off thing so all the pain for very little gain.

Only went with power feed on X axis and have no plans to add anymore at this time.

Cheers.

David.
With the mill finally on order I'm going thru wiring diagrams and ordering parts to hook up the VFD. Hopefully a bit smoother than my experience with the lathe!! Thanks for sending that info David, much appreciated.

I too purchased a PM1340GT several months ago and did some serious upgrades to it - including VFD conversion and all new controls designed by Mark Jacobs: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm1340-the-best-jacobs-full-custom-edition.58507/

I also plan to buy a new mill, and have settled on the PM935, and also decided to buy the TS version and do a similar VFD conversion. I once had to repair a Reeves drive system like on the TV version, and never again.

Even though I have yet to purchase the 935, I have been accumulating some of the parts and components for the upgrades I plan to do, including power feed on all three axis. Based on other user feedback, and my own prior experience with Chinese-made power feed systems that don't go slow enough of give fine enough speed control for my likes, I decided to purchase better quality units made in Taiwan. Here is what arrived last week:

View attachment 257220

I bought them through Eisen Machinery on eBay. Total landed cost for the three was just under $1200.

I'm a big fan of Kurt vices. I have two 6" on my RF45 (real Rong Fu) and they are terrific.

When it comes to cutting tools, that is an almost infinitely deep end of the pool. I have plenty of favorite tools, but the list is a spreadsheet that's 1000 items long at this point. I'm sure others can chime in on that topic who have wider experience than I do.

View attachment 257221
Thanks for the comments David, I looked into those drive that you and Mark like and only a bit more than the drives PM sell so think I'll go with the Align drives. Also read enough to convince me that a Kurt vise might be worth the extra (maybe just peace of mind but do sound better) so that decision is made as well.

What kind of VFD did you end up buying?

Bit of an update here in that I've decided to get the PM949 rather than the 835 as I've kind of figured out how to re-arrange thing in the shop to fit the larger mill. Same head on it as the 935 and I'm going with the Hitachi unit Matt sells as I have a Hitachi on my Lathe and am happy with it and have at least a basic (very) idea of how to work with and program it (Largely due very detailed guidance from Mark Jacobs). I'm shipping the mill with a bandsaw I'm also getting from Matt and the Bandsaw is on backorder - hence the delay in getting it on site.
Alex

Back