How to--Gun Blueing

TLGriff, you mean to tell me all gunsmiths don't spend all their time either blowing stuff up or fighting amongst themselves? I thought Sons of Guns was a documentary! I'm SHOCKED, shocked, I tell you!

Try rust blueing, this is many times more durable than the cold blues mentioned and can be done cheaply and easily at home. As an added bonus, it is one of the best looking blues out there.

i use birchwood on most all mine, if you take your time and strip polish clean then put under a heat lamp and let it get nice and warm before aplying coats it will give you many years of wear, i put 3 coates of blue on mine warming metal up after each coat, once all 3 coats are on and dried then i use remoil for nice coating.:)) mac

I use Brownells Dicropan IM. Heat the steel, apply, card, repeat. Makes a very durable finish.
Pierre

I've used all the cold blues. Brownells Oxpho blue seems to be the most durable for cold blueing. Nothing beats a good old salt blueing for beauty and durability. Your results will be directly proportional to your preparation/cleaning.

I use a hot salt bluing using lye and sodium nitrate, turns the metal a deep black color that is very durable. i have used cold blues as well and have found heating the metal with a propane torch between coats and using 0000 steel wool to apply works well.

for rock solid bluing supplies contact brownells. but it is pretty expensive for an individual to start out blueing. if you go to http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=1037

they have parkerizing supplies very inexpensive. they now have a parker black dip you can use and is not expensive and is reusable. look thru their stuff and have some fun, they also are the seller uf duracoat brand coatings.

I recently picked up a Blue Wonder blueing kit. Haven't had the chance to try it yet though.

Back