How to import machinary from oversea?

umnik

Registered
Registered
Guys,
I am considering to buy (direct import term?) a CNC router from oversea. No, not from China, from Europe. Anybody can advise/describe what I am getting into? Like paperwork, fees, import taxes/duties, whatever else? Any pointers what procedure is?

You're running a logistics mission with a visit to a government office. I said government office. You will be called when your stuff arrives in port. You will be directed to pay the import taxes. They will then tell you where to wait for your item to be brought up. If you have all of your paperwork straight in advance it will save you from any surprises. Depending on your port, you may have to run around between customs and the bonded shipper, or they may be close to each other. Bring cash. Bring cash. Stop at an ATM and get cash, just to have it. Ask me how I know.

small packages usually don't have much trouble.
ship with a major carrier- DHL, UPS,FED EX, etc.
the shipper is responsible for getting it to customs, once customs clear, the delivery is soon after by the carrier
it can be expensive, dependent on many factors, but often the costs are offset by a reduced purchase price.
there are tactics for purchasing the product in the monetary denomination of the seller and straddling the market to guard against unfavorable denomination value decreases, but the work involved may be superfluous for a single package, unless the value is more than 20,000 USD

You're running a logistics mission with a visit to a government office. I said government office. You will be called when your stuff arrives in port. You will be directed to pay the import taxes. They will then tell you where to wait for your item to be brought up. If you have all of your paperwork straight in advance it will save you from any surprises. Depending on your port, you may have to run around between customs and the bonded shipper, or they may be close to each other. Bring cash. Bring cash. Stop at an ATM and get cash, just to have it. Ask me how I know.
@pontiac428 , thanks for heads up. How can I know amount of import taxes in advance?

That is not an option, I guess. ~ 400lb on a 3'x4' pallet will be impossible or way too expensive.
FedEx Freight is one of the largest international freight operations on the planet. Absolutely possible. And for a 400lb. shipment from Europe to a hobbyist, yes, expensive.

How things are handled depends on the value of what you're importing. If the cost of what you're importing exceeds
a set value (sorry, I don't remember how much) you are required to use a customs broker. You can arrange that
yourself, or your shipper may be able to perform that service. (Fed Ex can do it.). Whether or not duty applies
to what you're buying and how much it will cost can be looked up online or discussed with the broker. In addition,
the broker and US Customs will take a cut. If the value is less than what's required for a broker, then you'll
go through the process described by pontiac428. If you do your homework in advance, there shouldn't be to many surprises.

in a shipment from Australia, i had #1500 lbs of packaging machinery sent from a private seller.
long and short, it cost about $4200 before i got it from the forwarder

I'd at least get a quote from Fedex It may be worth it considering it would be a lot less hassle.

Back