How to import machinary from oversea?

I sold thru ebay, a pair of Buell motorcycle fiberglass saddlebags to a gentleman in 'Iceland'.... He arranged shipping. I shipped them to a broker/exporter (?) in NY. I remember their bill was $450.00 - more than the cost of the saddlebags, don't know of other costs to him. Boxed, each bag was about the size of a thick suitcase, but light.

I had 300 pound saw parts shipped from Germany to the Port in Montreal, and then by truck to Niagara Falls. Cost was $1700.00 in shipping for $4600.00 of parts. That is in Canadian funds so it would be appx. 35% less expensive in US dollars.
Waited 4 months, I had to pay complete up front. Also shipping was taken care of by the seller. Also 3 weeks after the order they called and said they mis calculated on the weight and needed $800.00 more. I said no and had to wait for a slow boat instead of air freight.
I would not of even attempted this , but it was a reputable worldwide company and we had , had an accident with a lift truck with a sliding saw.:mad: No injuries,
Cheers
Martin

@pontiac428 , thanks for heads up. How can I know amount of import taxes in advance?
You will have to research that through the Customs & Border Patrol website. The information might be buried, but it's in there. Don't let these guys scare you too much, it's not so bad on the US side. Of course, I have not been paying attention to the "changes" over the last couple of years. One good thing taxwise is you are buying hobby equipment, not commercial.

I don't know what the costs are in today's $$$, but about 15 years ago, I bought a custom car chassis, all fiberglass body panels, and multiple other parts from Australia. Had them shipped over in a 20ft sea container (due to over size and weight). Shipping costs by SLOOOOOOOW boat was ~ $1500.00. Customs / import was not much $$ and not really that hard to do. I could have shipped a lot of additional materials in that box as it was mostly empty air!!. Look around for shipping alternatives and see if you can get creative!

Back