• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

How to... internal threading/grooving

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

scattermaster

Registered
Registered
Hey guys,
I'm taking my 1st crack at making internal threads. This time It's about a 2" ID roughly in aluminum. I'm making a 16 TPI thread.
I will need to make a groove to give the threading tool a place to stop.
Is there a boring bar with tooling that will make those?
I don't need to go very far in (about 2.5") but in the future I think I'll want to go deeper.
??

Tony Wells

Former Vice President - Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Administrator
Good for you!

If you are asking about inserted tooling, yes groove bars are made for that and should be used to cut an angular thread exit, usually a 45°.

On the other hand, a HSS holder type bar can be used with the appropriately ground groove tool.

You may find groove bars priced seemingly high.

Dave Paine

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
As Tony stated, special grooving bars can be expensive.

The HSS boring bars with right angle bend mentioned by Tony are readily available, just need to grind the end to width of the groove.

Another option is a double ended bar which can use inexpensive 1/8in square HSS cutters. An example from Grizzly, but this style is available at many locations.

I have one of these. The only issue I have is that the cutter tends to slip. Small set screw is not able to apply a lot of pressure, so light cuts needed.

Double ended boring bar

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
P.H. Horn makes very versatile internal tooling for grooving, threading and form turning. Their carbide bars are excellent for grooving deep inside a bore and can groove at the bottom of a blind hole.

https://www.hornusa.com/horn-solutions/turning/

Charles Spencer

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I use a high speed steel tool bit in a boring bar to cut a groove for a blind internal thread. You can make one yourself.

boring bar.jpg

P. Waller

Set up P.H. Horn internal groove tool this afternoon for parts that will run tomorrow.
Retaining ring grooves in a .985" bore 1 1/2" inside, this bar will go 3 1/4" deep.
internal groove tool.jpg

scattermaster

Registered
Registered
Well I got my groove made using a bar from my milling boring bar set. Good enough to move on.
I made some mistakes on my project but the thread fit is incredible. I can't feel any play what so ever, but it still screws on and off easily.
Now I just need to come up with a real use for my "can". IMG_1179.JPG IMG_1180.JPG IMG_1185.JPG

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
Nice Job. :congrats: A good use for it,, Hide spare cash in it :dollars: to use for new tools.:shhh:

epanzella

Active User
Registered
If there's no particular dimension required for a relief groove I just use the threading tool. I plunge it in and hand feed it back and forth about .125" to form the groove. It's quick and uses the same depth setting as the thread.

rock_breaker

Nice job Scattermaster, you just passed an important milestone. Follow Kd4gij's instructions for use.
Have a good day
Ray

scattermaster

Registered
Registered
If there's no particular dimension required for a relief groove I just use the threading tool. I plunge it in and hand feed it back and forth about .125" to form the groove. It's quick and uses the same depth setting as the thread.
hmmm, that'ed be too easy!
I never even considered doing that. I would have thought it would break the insert.
Now I gotta go back and try it out.

magicniner

Registered
Registered
hmmm, that'ed be too easy!
I never even considered doing that. I would have thought it would break the insert.
Now I gotta go back and try it out.
It works fine, plunge the groove first to full thread depth, then cut the thread in your chosen way.
I use Iscar's recommended cutting speeds and depths for my Cham-Groove kit.

[6]
[5] [7]