How to make a thin bushing

kubes

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Still learning. I need to replace the worm gear and shaft in my RF-30 (Enco) for head height. The parts for a true RF-30 have a 17mm shaft, and mine is 18mm. I have a lathe and was going to make a bushing. I am not sure of the best approach to make a 1mm thick bushing. I am thinking of boring stock to 17mm ID and press fit that, then finish to 18mm, but the bushing would most likely just rotate on the shaft. Maybe Loctite? Open to ideas, I am sure you all have a better way to approach this...

Thanks!
CleanShot 2023-04-27 at 18.03.11@2x.png

Machining the bushing after gluing and pressing it onto the shaft is the best way to pull it off. The result would be better than a sleeve shim by a mile. Bronze is probably an improvement, iron or steel would be stock equivalent. Don't use anything soft here. Manage your heat input during machining to preserve the glue. I think your plan will go just fine.

First a bushing to go from a 17mm shaft to an 18mm shaft is not 1mm thick, it is .50mm thick.

I would either get some texture on the shaft and ID of the bushing and then bond the bushing in place to machine the OD.
The other option is to solder the bushing to the shaft and then turn the OD.

Machining for a press fit will not allow adhesive or solder to get into the joint for proper bonding.

As businesses come and go , Unilever ( 15 years of my life ) sold out their US market detergent business to Sun Products back in 2014 who sold it to Henkel years later . I use Loctite on everything at work . Great stuff . If you use Wisk , All , Snuggle , you're familiar with Henkel and you can wash the Loctite out of you clothes . :grin:

I don't think 1mm at .5 mm per side is enough thickness for a bushing. I would enlarge the bore so you can put a thicker walled bushing in.
just my opinion. if it weren't a moving part you could get by, but not on a bushing in my opinion. It may work, but it's more likely to fail early.

I don't think 1mm at .5 mm per side is enough thickness for a bushing. I would enlarge the bore so you can put a thicker walled bushing in.
just my opinion. if it weren't a moving part you could get by, but not on a bushing in my opinion. It may work, but it's more likely to fail early.
How thick should it be? I can't bore the hole, it's in the head casting but I could turn down the worm gear shaft. I would be concerned then about losing strength.

How thick should it be? I can't bore the hole, it's in the head casting but I could turn down the worm gear shaft. I would be concerned then about losing strength.
human hair is about 0.06 inches (1.5 mm) thick
so the human hair is 3 times as thick as the wall you are proposing.
Just saying.

I don't think that info I grabbed is correct. I'll get back on this. Man, total garbage out there. It's all over the place. Sorry, ignore my post. bad info.

Back