How to make a thin bushing

Human hair is .003 ( I checked) head hair that is....;)

Human hair is .003 ( I checked) head hair that is.
That's a pretty good average. I remember when I was about 12 and I got my first NSK mic -- I went around to all my family members and measured their hair. Assuming my technique was good (!) I got a range from 0.003" to 0.004". Black squirrel hair, as I recall, measured 0.002".

The ideas above are the ticket. Turn down the shaft on your lathe a little, enough to hit a common/easy to bore size in a piece of bronze (and to rough it up a little!). Bore said piece of bronze to be the proper fit for your loctite. Use some loctite to permanently bond the bronze to the shaft, then turn it in place. A 20 thou wall thickness is not going to survive at all. Thats only about 6 pieces of paper thick!

How did the original fail? At the moment I would likely turn down the shaft and bond a bushing to the shaft and fit to the hole.
Pierre

FWIW...

I've made many bushings at work with .020" wall thickness... it's pretty common practice to repair worn bores.

I would not turn down the shaft much, if any... just 'rough it up' to give the adhesive some tooth to grip. Bore your material and loctite or epoxy it on, then turn to fit the bore.

-Bear

Back