How to open a propane tank?

SE18

Active User
Registered
Someone threw away a somewhat rusty propane tank that I'd like to open and make a propane forge with. It has a screw sort of top, but I'm wondering if unscrew it there will be pressure. I'm thinking to take it out in the field and from 50meters blow a hole in it with my 9mm. Not sure if it will explode. Follow-on question is, is the next step to fill tank with water to ensure all LPG is out then safe to start cutting? I have some fire wool (forget the name of it) to line inside of the tank. Much thanks. I always do safety check on this forum before doing something questionable.

I use a couple as leaf and garden waste burners, I knocked the valves clean off with a big hammer then left them inverted for a few days before cutting the tops off with my plasma cutter, no drama.

Newer style tanks have a spring-loaded safety valve inside the opening that only releases after you attach the regulator.
**G**

If you shoot it with a 9 mm it might end up in the same neighborhood as Elon's car...Please record and post to You Tube if this is your method of choice. :p

Bleed the pressure off, then remove the valve. Fill with water, empty, fill again. Cut with water IN the tank. That's the way we do it around here.

If you have argon or CO2, flood the tank with either of those two and put a bleeder hose in there while you're cutting. No oxygen, no boom. Some people throw a chunk of dry ice in the tank. When the white gas starts coming out the top, it's filled with CO2 and safe to cut.

Ray

I have used several of these for furnaces. Here was my method. First attach it to a grill and turn on the valve for a while to make sure there is no pressure in the tank. Then use a large pipe wrench with a cheater bar to unscrew the valve from the tank. These are on really tight. You will need to use a ratchet cargo strap around the tank to hold it to something so it doesn't rotate. I have also heard of people tack welding a flat cheater bar to the metal ring on the bottom of the tank. Just don't get the tank itself too hot! Once you get the valve off, fill it with water using a funnel. It will smell like gas due to the smelly oil they put in the tanks. Then drain the tank for cutting. I used an angle grinder to cut as needed. This technique avoids the 9mm hole which may not be correctly placed depending on your marksmanship!
Robert

If you knock the valve off and leave the cylinder inverted for a week then both gas density and diffusion will do something, if ignorant of these then stick with the recommendation of Elfin's Afety.
Inert gas flooding is the best and safest way to render the cylinder safe, think exhaust fumes ;-)

Back