How to open a propane tank?

Wondering if his truck has any holes in it :eek 2:
Cans of Starting fluid works better and cheaper

Result: WASTED AMMUNITION! :bang head:
It was not wasted if it was fun.
Or am I always wasting ammo.

I have an old connector for a regulator, so when connected it just vents the tank. Remove Valve, Often a pain, then follow the fill with soapy water, They do make nice little forges

Forget the propane. Use the helium tanks that are for balloons. The tanks look the same except painted red. There are even instructions on the side of the tank on empting them and removing the valves for recycling.

I made my forge from a portable air tank ( cheaper than propane tank ) a little larger too ,made the burner also.
945012A5-02A5-4076-AB74-F6B3DA42DD54.jpegBC637D9F-B942-4719-A0B7-2CCCE8AA74CC.jpeg3E482E6A-69FC-4527-AFEE-14F2810E9CFA.jpeg

After your sure the tank is empty, lay tank on its side sit on it then place a wrench on the valve and strike wrench with 3+ lb hammer. That will break the sealant/loctite they use on the threads. The valves aren’t threaded on overly tight then fill with water to just below where You will be cutting and have at it. Also many of the propane tanks I have repurposed have had a heavy coating of zinc paint on them nasty stuff

... Slightly Off Topic here but, here goes.

If you're searching for metal tanks for various projects, keep your eyes open for discarded hot water heaters. Each one houses a treasure (10 ga or heavier metal tank) and you won't need to worry about blowing yourself up to Kingdom Come.

Ray

SE18 - can't help you but I am following along and hope to see your finished forge in action. I'm just down RT29 from you halfway to Warrenton.

I'll be sure to post pictures of progress, which I expect to be quite slow. & Larry, you or anyone invited over anytime.

Back