How to Remove Frozen Harmonic Balancer / Pulley from Shaft?

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
I am replacing the AC generator in a generator unit. The generator aux field coil shorted and I found a like unit with a good AC generator sub unit. The photo shows the harmaonic balancer / flywheel / pulley on the armature shaft. I have commonly been able to remove balancers with an air hammer on a nut screwed into the shaft. No luck on this armature.
The photo shows the bolt screwed into the armature, a small section of the armature, and the balancer. I am thinking heat applied to the balancer is the best way to go from here. Is this correct? Is there a better way?
There are 2 screw holes in the balancer / flywheel / pulley. Would a puller be better than heat?
Thanks in advance. Dan

gen_har_bal_01.jpg

or

The bolt is for retaining the pulley.

Remove the bolt and determine its pitch and diameter.

Determine the pitch and diameter of the 2 threaded holes on the flywheel, (make draw bolts for these holes)

If you have sufficient allthread with a nut, couple nuts, a short bar of steel, and the ability to drill a few holes, and add a couple draw bolts, you can make a puller.
Drill the steel bar larger than the necessary holes, insert the all-thead into the retention bolt hole, put the nut on the all-thread, install the drilled steel bar onto the protruding all-thread, make and install draw bolts to the drilled steel bar . Use the nuts installed onto the all-thread to displace the steel bar which will pull the pulley

The puller for these is a bit stronger than normal.

You can rent or borrow one from auto parts stores.

Forget about making puller or bolts, you need very strong materials.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thank you all. 20 years ago I rebuilt a manual transmission that had a frozen bearing. I tightened the puller as much as I dared and then applied heat. After about 90 seconds there was a very low 'click'. I let it cool for 8 hours and then cycle 2, same click. I waited overnight and repeated the cycle. It took 4 or 5 cycles before the puller could pull the bearing. I think I will try that process.
Thank you all. I will report back.

Thank you all. 20 years ago I rebuilt a manual transmission that had a frozen bearing. I tightened the puller as much as I dared and then applied heat. After about 90 seconds there was a very low 'click'. I let it cool for 8 hours and then cycle 2, same click. I waited overnight and repeated the cycle. It took 4 or 5 cycles before the puller could pull the bearing. I think I will try that process.
Thank you all. I will report back.
A puller and heat is a good way to go and a sharp wrap with a hammer on the puller can also help.

That might be on a taper so the “click” could rather large and violent.

Update: I made a puller from a 1/2 x 3/4 x 5 inch hold down bar from the milling machine hold down set, a 4 in bolt, nut, and washer with the same threads as the pulley, and 1/4 x 20 all thread. The nut and washer went against the inside of the center bolt and the 1/4 x 20 all thread nuts and washer against the outside. The result was the 1/4 x 20 were pulling in the pulley and the nut and washer were pushing on the armature.
It took 2 passes to set it up. I would judge the final torque on the 1/4 x 20 was about 1/2 rod breaking force.
You were correct, it is a teper. Is was not a snap or a SNAP, but a Snap, definitely not a click. No heat or hammer required. Slow and steady torque. Nothing broken, no threads stripped, no fallen parts broken on the floor. All in all successful. Thank you all. Dan

Update: I made a puller from a 1/2 x 3/4 x 5 inch hold down bar from the milling machine hold down set, a 4 in bolt, nut, and washer with the same threads as the pulley, and 1/4 x 20 all thread. The nut and washer went against the inside of the center bolt and the 1/4 x 20 all thread nuts and washer against the outside. The result was the 1/4 x 20 were pulling in the pulley and the nut and washer were pushing on the armature.
It took 2 passes to set it up. I would judge the final torque on the 1/4 x 20 was about 1/2 rod breaking force.
You were correct, it is a teper. Is was not a snap or a SNAP, but a Snap, definitely not a click. No heat or hammer required. Slow and steady torque. Nothing broken, no threads stripped, no fallen parts broken on the floor. All in all successful. Thank you all. Dan
I had a pitman arm come off of my 76 Bronco with enough force to put a 1.5" deep divot in the blacktop driveway.

I cranked and cranked and stopped to take a breather and........ BOOM, the whole works, puller pitman arm and ratchet landed between my knees.

Sometimes you get a snap, sometimes a BOOM, other times you get a whimper.

Back