How to Remove Frozen Harmonic Balancer / Pulley from Shaft?

I had a pitman arm come off of my 76 Bronco with enough force to put a 1.5" deep divot in the blacktop driveway.

I cranked and cranked and stopped to take a breather and........ BOOM, the whole works, puller pitman arm and ratchet landed between my knees.

Sometimes you get a snap, sometimes a BOOM, other times you get a whimper.
I left a ZF-6 mainshaft in a maxed out 30 ton press, trying to get a synchro off.
next day, had to get a torch out to help.

I am now reassembling and have a question about how to reinstall the tapered pulley on the armature. There is no key. I have it back together and have torqued the fine thread bolt to about 40 ft lbs. Is that sufficient? Should I use an air wrench?
(I used 2 larger drift pin tools in the 2 puller holes of the motor pulley and held them with a long screw driver. I then torqued the bolt with a standard 3/8 socket wrench. I was able to get a medium plus purchase on the wrench, hence the estimate.)

If its not keyed Id wonder if it even matters.

Do you have a way to check static balance on this?

As in maybe the balancing marks are just to balance that part and not the motor its self.

I had not worried about balance; I assumed that would be OK. I was more concerned about insufficient pressure and and slippage.

If it's not keyed I wouldn't worry about balance. You'll find out when you run it, and I'd bet it's ok.

I had a pitman arm come off of my 76 Bronco with enough force to put a 1.5" deep divot in the blacktop driveway.

I cranked and cranked and stopped to take a breather and........ BOOM, the whole works, puller pitman arm and ratchet landed between my knees.

Sometimes you get a snap, sometimes a BOOM, other times you get a whimper.
And sometimes you can get hurt, badly......

I was worried about proper torque on the bolt holding the pulley on the shaft. I torqued it to about 40 lbs and then used an air wrench with 60 psi air pressure, that added about another 1/2 turn to the bolt. My 80 / 20 suspicion is this is sufficient and it should not slip.
(BTW: Before installing I cleaned the pulley and the shaft with brake cleaner, wiped it dry, let it set to dry for another 30 minutes or so. I believe the pulley and shaft were clean when assembled. )
If I need to redo it now is the time. It is a Job to get at the pulley when it is installed.

I was worried about proper torque on the bolt holding the pulley on the shaft. I torqued it to about 40 lbs and then used an air wrench with 60 psi air pressure, that added about another 1/2 turn to the bolt. My 80 / 20 suspicion is this is sufficient and it should not slip.
(BTW: Before installing I cleaned the pulley and the shaft with brake cleaner, wiped it dry, let it set to dry for another 30 minutes or so. I believe the pulley and shaft were clean when assembled. )
If I need to redo it now is the time. It is a Job to get at the pulley when it is installed.
Loctite. Properly cleaned and applied, allowed to cure; I've never had a fastener loosen.

Back