How To Safely Secure A Load On Your Truck/trailer

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm not sure where to put this thread. It doesn't belong under: MACHINE PICKUPS & RIGGERS AVAILABLE & NEEDED As I'm not asking for help hauling merely best practice advise on securing a load.

Please note this excerpt:
Vehicles carrying objects that are not properly secured pose a safety risk on our nation's roadways. Debris that falls from a vehicle can collide with other vehicles or pedestrians, causing serious injuries or fatalities. According to data collected by NHTSA, there were about 440 fatalities caused by roadway debris in 2010. However, the exact number of incidents resulting from vehicles carrying unsecured loads is unknown.
http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-13-24

This doesn't include the fact that you now have a damaged machine tool, truck, trailer, etc.

As we all tend to do things the way the we've seen them done, or we improvise. And those aren't necessarily best practice. Thus, the point of this thread is what is best practice for securing loads. Additionally, I need to take some of my 2dozen ratchet straps out of service due to some cuts in the webbing. I'm considering replacing with binders and am looking for direction on best purchase and application.

Ratchet straps?
`- are all grades of ratchet straps equal? (when should you use the 1inch or 2inch, when is rope enough?)
- how do you use a ratchet strap? (both securing hooks, wrapping machines, and the ratchet mechanism)
- when should straps be retired? How do you protect webbing from from sharp corners?
- What do you do with any left over tails?

Load binders?
- from what I've read I need schedule 70 chain for securing and schedule 80 for lifting. It's likely that the many chains I already have are 43. Some of them should likely be destroyed due to damaged links.
- are all grades of binders equal?
- binders come as levers and ratchets. Is there a preference?
- how many do you need?
- how are they best used?

In this thread it's not my intent to explore loading or unloading. Nor the mechanics of truck & trailer drive-lines or tires. Merely how do we get it to stay.
I also understand that there are legal implications of this thread. The best official transportation document I've found is: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/cargo-securement/cargo-securement-rules If anyone finds something better. Please send a link!!

Thank you.
Daryl
MN

For the roof rack of a car or the bed of a pickup truck, I like to use 1" nylon ratchet straps. For securing heavy stuff to a flatbed trailer the wider 2"+ heavy duty nylon ratchet straps.
I like the ratchet straps as they are easy to uses and undo, relatively cheap, and very secure, also like that it's easy to tighten them up at rest stops, if necessary.
One tip: leaving a couple of twists in the webbing will prevent it from making the "kazoo" noise that can happen when it's laying flat against a load.

It seems that the type of webbing varies significantly on 2inch ratchet straps.
Some is very soft, others seem ruggedized.
Yes, a twist goes along way to stopping the "kazoo".

Daryl
MN

I agree with Eddie's post. You guys have moved more heavy loads than I ever will but for heaver loads I like the 2" ratchet straps, just use a bunch of them. Tie the tail onto the taught strap or the trailer itself, I don't like to leave them blowing in the wind. I do like to bolt machine(s) to skids that in turn are bolted to the bed of the trailer with cross bracing to prevent tipping.
image_25160.jpg
I like the idea of using chain and load binders but I always cringe when I see a chain on a machined surface of a machine tool. The 3/4" & 1" ratchet straps have been relegated to holding tarps on-top of garden mulch etc. The all seem to be made from very cheap materials and I've bent more than one ratchet trying to tighten them.

I think chain binders are for extremely heavy loads like an Excavator or load of I-beams on a flatbed semi. I agree, a binding chain over the ways of a machine tool would be a criminal offense. That's why I would never not be present if I had a piece machinery moved by riggers.

"I do like to bolt machine(s) to skids that in turn are bolted to the bed of the trailer with cross bracing to prevent tipping."

Yep, I've seen that done well! I've also seen skids that are cracked in use.
Two weeks ago I saw a hobbyist using 1inchers to secure a heavy loads.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
When rigging,I predict that I may or may not have to try and come to a sudden stop,so I rig accordingly.I'm not talking about slamming on the brakes but come to a stop without locking the brakes up.I like using the ratchet straps from Northern Tool which seems to be of better quality than HF or big box stores.Of course, driving in the slow lane and making wide slow turns I consider to be a part of rigging.
Good subject Daryl

Back in the late 60s, I used the chain lockdowns on a lumberyard delivery truck. Lord, I hated those things!

But I don't even know if straps were available, then.

Here is Alloy's Kent mill move from my shop to his.
upload_2016-8-21_9-39-12.png

That shackle near the table has a lot more clearance than the picture would suggest.

upload_2016-8-21_9-39-30.png

The ratchet strap is only holding the box with the VFD in position
upload_2016-8-21_9-40-46.png

About 30 miles through heavy traffic and the mill stayed exactly where we put it.
upload_2016-8-21_9-41-8.png

Back