How to Wind a Coil Spring on the Metal Lathe

T

Tom Griffin

Forum Guest
Register Today
If you need that special coil spring for a project that you just can't seem to find anywhere, here's a short video I put together that shows how to make it.

Tom

[video=youtube_share;i1x5_S0Pq4k]http://youtu.be/i1x5_S0Pq4k[/video]

Excellent video. Thanks for posting
Pierre

been making springs for 30 years still using my original jigs:))

Very nice video...

BTW: Somewhere here in one of my threads on heat treating, I showed how to coil the kanthal wire for the heating element... Tom's proclamations about safety are dead on! You really need to watch yourself as getting a finger tangled in wire will no doubt shorten that finger real fast. Go slow. And if you need to make a heating element coil, rig-up a spool feeding mechanism so it comes off the supply spool onto the shaft. Long dangling wires will get tangled -possibly with with you in the mix.

Ray

Reactions: Guv
Thanks guys. It's nice to make something without chips for a change. :)

Tom

Nice video, thanks so much for teaching me something today- :))

Dave

Tom
Thanks for the great how to video. its allways nice to learn new things, and I hope you make and post more of your video,s for us to see. Very cool Vid, I enjoyed that. :thumbzup::thumbzup:

Thanks Paul.

I haven't made any in a while, but I've been getting so many suggestions on my YouTube channel that I guess it's time to get busy and shoot a few.

Tom

If you need that special coil spring for a project that you just can't seem to find anywhere, here's a short video I put together that shows how to make it.

Tom

[video=youtube_share;i1x5_S0Pq4k]http://youtu.be/i1x5_S0Pq4k[/video]

Great video Tom! Thanks for sharing. Can you give a bit more detail on the wire guide? I'm not sure how the wire gets tensioned.

I've made a few springs (model engine valve springs) and they turned out fine, but I did the spring pitch by hand and stitched the wire through a piece of hardwood with a row of 4 or 5 holes. By drawing back on the hardwood, I could tension the wire and guide the pitch of the coils.

John

Great video Tom! Thanks for sharing. Can you give a bit more detail on the wire guide? I'm not sure how the wire gets tensioned.

I've made a few springs (model engine valve springs) and they turned out fine, but I did the spring pitch by hand and stitched the wire through a piece of hardwood with a row of 4 or 5 holes. By drawing back on the hardwood, I could tension the wire and guide the pitch of the coils.

John

That's the nice thing about this technique John, tensioning is not required. The wire guide is simply a piece of 1/2" round with a 3/16" hole nearly through and a 60º V cut in the end to control the wire at the point where it wraps up on the mandrel. The hole through the center just keeps the wire from getting tangled as it feeds.

The photo below is a close-up of the business end of the wire guide.

Tom

001_2.JPG

001_2.JPG

Back