How would you do this?

Not that it matters to the OP at this point, but a quick soak in muriatic acid will remove galvanizing as well. Muriatic acid is available at your big-box home store. Unfortunately you usually have to buy a couple gallons at a time, but, fortunately, it's cheap (I think $10 / 2 gal last time I bought some).

GsT

Nah, maybe later
All I am going to use it for now is to clamp bent 90* 'L' shaped parts on end that need holes drilled after they get bent.

Nah, maybe later
All I am going to use it for now is to clamp bent 90* 'L' shaped parts on end that need holes drilled after they get bent.
In that case I would forego the gusseting and work on making a companion support for the cantilevered end of the bent piece. Alternately, maybe a 'step' along the horizontal edge. If you have the material, a mirrored pair might be the ticket. Clamp the piece(s) down and mill the step and you can forget about surfacing anything.

GsT

Not that it matters to the OP at this point, but a quick soak in muriatic acid will remove galvanizing as well. Muriatic acid is available at your big-box home store. Unfortunately you usually have to buy a couple gallons at a time, but, fortunately, it's cheap (I think $10 / 2 gal last time I bought some).

GsT
I didn't know that.
Muriatic acid is what I put in my pool from time to time.
You can buy it at any pool supply place too.

Nah, maybe later
At what point might it have been worth looking at eBay. Time is money. No disrespect meant.

I didn't know that.
Muriatic acid is what I put in my pool from time to time.
You can buy it at any pool supply place too.
That's where you'll find it in the home stores too - with the pool stuff. At least you have a use for all the surplus...

GsT

Hey guys, I know better than to weld on galvanized, geesh!
Taking it to the sandblaster today.
I should have mentioned this first off I guess, sorry for any misunderstandings here.

Sure did not intend on starting a row here!
I think you can remove the Galvanize coating by soaking it in vinegar....

And what fun is that?!
Do something more productive.

To each his own, but once you have enough irons in the fire and Benjamin’s in the wallet you really change the way you spend your free time.

Good call on not welding gussets to it, just more effort for questionable return.

Mill it square and drill and tap for side plates for making quick setups.

No welding fumes of any kind are good for you. Proper precautions are always necessary.
I believe this is why I have RA, I would weld alum inside of tanks for weeks in the 80's with no protective equipt. Very foolish, But it was a different world back then.

Take care of yourself and use the best PPE available.

Back