How would YOU go about this job.

It would be a good idea to install a short length (2mm?) of Teflon tube between each of the new balls, as separators, so the balls don't rub on each other.
By this,do you mean basically putting a sleeve over each ball or rather every second ball so they don't rub on each other? I must just remind everyone that this is not a high revving motor ofsorts,but just a windmill turning at low speed every now and then. My question, is the spacers REALLY necessary?

Me, I would not work the metal but get a ready made thin thrust bearing where the balls go. In a lathe maybe face off flat to make room if needed.

Washer-bearing-washer. That type.

Thrust bearing is made for that and will take a heavy load.
I will mention this to my client and also check for a thrust bearing that size price. I guess then I will have to machine away the current races and machine for the washes to fit right? It's a good idea @Cadillac STS.

Is this hardened or treated?

Why is it being done, making something bigger?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I will mention this to my client and also check for a thrust bearing that size price. I guess then I will have to machine away the current races and machine for the washes to fit right? It's a good idea @Cadillac STS.

I would get the bearing if price is ok. Then put it together without machining anything to check fit. It may fit as it is maybe with needing to extend the bolt holding it.

If it can fit with no machining I would use the rotary table and cut a precision seat that the washer could sink into and hold firm with no movement.

If material needs to be removed take most if you can from the metal side that can take loss of metal without losing as much strength. Looks lIke one side is thinner and just a careful facing to flatten it may be all that is needed.

Last edited:
Every bearing race that I have seen has been hardened and ground. Machining an existing race would necessitate annealing first. For best wear, the races should be hardened after modification. From the photos, there appears to be a significant amount of pitting which was most likely due to corrosion from the elements. Without protective seals, failure can be expected again.

Is this hardened or treated?

Why is it being done, making something bigger?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Dont think so,I have not checked yet.

I can't recall why he wants to go bigger either. My mistake,I should have lisend better. I will ask again on Monday.

Dont think so,I have not checked yet.

I can't recall why he wants to go bigger either. My mistake,I should have lisend better. I will ask again on Monday.
My guess is that he wants to eliminate the pitting in the race.

By this,do you mean basically putting a sleeve over each ball or rather every second ball so they don't rub on each other? I must just remind everyone that this is not a high revving motor ofsorts,but just a windmill turning at low speed every now and then. My question, is the spacers REALLY necessary?

Pictured is an assembly with radial grooves, but the tubular spacers work the same for your groove orientation. I would fill each spacer with grease at assembly.

Tubular Bearing Seporators.jpg

The following text is copied from a Kaydon Catalog 390:

"Spacers separate the rolling elements and are designed to
minimize friction, skidding, and jamming during rotation.
These conditions occur as a result of load distribution and
distortion of the mounting structures and bearing rings
during operation of the equipment. Spacers are generally
made of a plastic material compatible with typical
lubricants and operating environments."

Me, I would not work the metal but get a ready made thin thrust bearing where the balls go. In a lathe maybe face off flat to make room if needed.

Washer-bearing-washer. That type.

Thrust bearing is made for that and will take a heavy load.
This.

Yeah, short of a ground finish in the races this is just asking for trouble.

PO, how big is this windmil? Weight?

Back