Howard Precision sale: $1/lb aluminum plate drops

Were any of your selections outside that size range? At least those were the limitations when I placed my order. I haven't checked for an update.

The sizes I requested were:
1 10 Plate Cast MIC6 1.000" X 6.500" X 14.500"
1 20 Plate Wrought 6061 T651 1.500" X 9.250" X 14.001"
1 18 Plate Cast MIC6 2.000" X 6.875" X 12.875"
They substituted:
1 9 Plate Wrought 6061 T651 1.00" 6.501" X 13.875"
1 19 Plate Wrought 6061 T651 1.50" X 9.25" X 14.001"
1 30 Plate Wrought 6061 T651 2.00" X 11.875" X 12.876"

Did you request a quote when placing the order or just order by phone?

In every case, I requested the quote by web and completed the order by phone after receiving the quote. When they are substituting, it's clearly a person looking. I'd suggest calling the salesperson whose name is on the quote and asking for a different quote; you could have the random rack open and go through currently-listed stock while talking through what you'd like.

Update: I just placed an order with Howard. The quoted price had included shipping. The will-pick-up price is $1/lb. for plate.

Humm...I sent in a request for quote about a week ago, nothing yet.
They have a very good website for selection, seems like a quote would be pretty automatic.

Humm...I sent in a request for quote about a week ago, nothing yet.

Sorry to hear that. ☹ I don't think their website does inventory management between orders, I think they pick them as they run quotes, and I think it's a manual process. If you didn't get a response next business day, I'd say send in a request. Or call 414-355-9611 and ask, but after week I'd look through current stock to order. I think every quote I have gotten showed up in the first few hours of the next business day (since I typically am requesting quote outside normal business hours).

Good advice, mcdanlj. I’ll call them Monday.

what are the shipping rates?

They quote shipping rates and you can ask for particular shipping types. I paid $1.82/lb to my door with UPS shipping; I don't know what the price breaks are for UPS shipping. When I ordered more than 70 lbs they quoted freight shipping, which was astronomical to NC, but when I asked, they split it into two UPS shipments each under 70 lbs.

The $1/pound sale ended recently.

My understanding is that they have these sales every so often. I requested that they notify me when they have sales and I will pass the notice on to the forum.

Yes, I think you are right. My recollection is that the previous similar sale I saw was wrought bar stock, in the spring.

Back