Huanyang vfd's which one, the FC series or HY series?

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Looking for comments from those of you that have either or both.
I want to replace the motor on my Clausing 8520. I bought a 2hp 5.5 amp (fla) motor, 1725rpm.
I would like to do a remote fwd, reverse, stop , and speed using push buttons (momentary since I have them). Which one allows me to add a remote potentiometer? Is there programming on these to have a tapping operation or counter sinking (prefer to do it slower than cutting speed, seems to be much finer counter sink).

Any problems with them? I am thinking of just using a ckt breaker to power up and down so the fan doesn't run when I'm not there. Unless someone has a better idea?

I have an HY running the spindle on my CNC router. And I have a Teco 510 running the 3-phase on my mill. The HY was an absolute bear to program and sometimes loses programming for some unknown reason. The Teco was a dream to set up. I have remote fwd/stop/rev and a potentiometer for speed.
I fully expect the HY will let you do remote control but I haven't looked to be honest.

I have an HY running the spindle on my CNC router. And I have a Teco 510 running the 3-phase on my mill. The HY was an absolute bear to program and sometimes loses programming for some unknown reason. The Teco was a dream to set up. I have remote fwd/stop/rev and a potentiometer for speed.
I fully expect the HY will let you do remote control but I haven't looked to be honest.
is there a way to save the program, or parameters?
Looks like the teco is more than twice the price.

is there a way to save the program, or parameters?
Looks like the teco is more than twice the price.

It says it saved the parameters every time but sometimes one or two of them are lost.
The Tecos are definitely more expensive but the one on my mill has been trouble free for three years.

I have a new in the box VFD that would work Jeff , and I need to clean stuff out . I'll post a pic later on tonight .

Likewise, a picked up an import because it was $50. Never used it. Probably never will.

Likewise, a picked up an import because it was $50. Never used it. Probably never will.
If you leave it in the box the caps can go bad over time.

Teco makes a nice unit but I’ve been able to get basic remote functions going on my import VFD just fine.

Sorry, no suggestion on which version. Just read the manuals to see what features they support.

John

If you leave it in the box the caps can go bad over time.

Teco makes a nice unit but I’ve been able to get basic remote functions going on my import VFD just fine.

Sorry, no suggestion on which version. Just read the manuals to see what features they support.

John

I did not know that capacitors went bad over time. Thanks!

I did not know that capacitors went bad over time. Thanks!
Yep, particularity a bummer in audio equipment when they fail catastrophically and ruin the whole board. They need to be periodically charged by powering up to make make sure it doesn’t happen.

Yep, particularity a bummer in audio equipment when they fail catastrophically and ruin the whole board. They need to be periodically charged by powering up to make make sure it doesn’t happen.
Just a side note, this is true of electrolytic capacitors but not all capacitors. Of course, electrolytic capacitors are the cheapest way to get higher capacitor values, so they are used a lot. Pretty much the only option for something like a VFD that deals with a lot of power. And cheaper electrolytic capacitors (common in imported commodity electronics) are more prone than high quality ones.

But I have seen this generalized to ALL capacitors, which isn’t true.

Last edited:
Back