Huanyang vfd's which one, the FC series or HY series?

Old electrolytics can be slowly brought up to voltage which allows them to "re-form". I guess you'd have to use a variac to do that on a vfd

I have 4 Tecos, 2 on my mill, 1 on a bandsaw, 1 on a drill press and an HY on my air compressor. The Tecos (Spell correction wants to change to Tacos) have been in service for 7 years without any issues. The HY sometimes goes fault (over current) if the compressor is running continuously for more than a half hour or so. The compressor motor is 5 hp and the HY is rated at 7.5 hp, all parameters are set correctly as far as I can tell and the motor isn't drawing more amps than rated. The HY is mounted on an aluminum plate in open air so heat buildup shouldn't be the cause. I could switch the compressor to my RPC but I like the soft start feature of the VFD, especially since the compressor is in the utility room with the washer and dryer and I don't want the sudden compressor starts to scare the bejesus out of my wife, when she's doing laundry.

I also put an HY 10 Hp. on my air compressor. The power connections were so tiny i had to buy special solder on end lugs for each wire. Thought this would fail anyway, but so far so good.

Programming was almost impossible with scant directions in chinglish. never would have got it without MKJS help.

Now i have hitachi WJ200 series on several mills and lathes and a Tico on a bandsaw. Total of eight units. All were much easier setup and are more durable.

I have learned "ya gets what ya pays for". The hitachi and Tico are worth the extra bucks. They are easier to set up and will last longer

Last edited:
The power connections were so tiny i had to buy special solder on end lugs for each wire.
Yes forgot, I had the same issue, trying to get #10 gauge stranded wire onto those tiny screw studs, I wound up having to buy terminals and still had to modify them.

Keep in mind there are two "HY" series on the market. The original Huan Yang and the more common Askpower. They look similar, though there are differences. The Askpowers are much simpler to program. This may mean they are less featureful, don't know. I've had a pair of them cranking along for six years now. No smoke, no lost settings. They just get the job done.

Ouch, I just looked at VFD prices, these things obviously haven't recovered from chip-shortage or inflation.

Back