HUGE PRICE DIFFERENCE

I think the issue is the government is going to get their taxes out of us somehow. I think it is just a matter of how well they hide it. I wonder how our bottom line taxes after all the hidden taxes are totaled here in the USA compare to those in Europe?

Looking at the pictures the motors do look different... maybe the Italian saw has a better quality motor? If the motor is different maybe there are other differences in the quality of the parts used? The manufacture did pay an Italian product designer to a good amount to tell them the white base is more pleasing than the black base!... at least you got that going for you!

My hunch is that the General saws capabilities are probably limited to cutting cheese.

As you noticed there is a big motor difference!

USA bandsaw: 5A x 115V = 575 Watt motor

Italian motor is 850 W ( 3.7A x 230V)

Apart from that the rest LOOK the same. I can not tell something about the casting quality on both.
What I did with mine is to fit a bimetal blade right from day one and it cuts nicely (within its work envelope of course)

As for cheese... I would not try the hard ones... I will stay with the soft cheeses to be on the safe side ;)

You folks pay much more for petrol too I've heard- how much for a litre Petros?
Mark

How many hacksaw blades will 450 dollars buy I wonder.

I guess you could try to flip the coin and say, “ I’m so lucky/talented/successful to have 450 dollars expendable income to buy this brand new tool!”

I just spent the better part of 3 days trying to decide if it’s a good financial decision to spend 54 dollars for an igaging scale.

We in Canada complain when the difference is more than 10% above the USA. Higher wages, smaller market and greater distribution per unit costs. We've had Universal Medicare for 50 years now, so don't worry.

As many have noted, a large proportion of the castings for machine tools
are cast in China; the castings are uniform in design, but not in quality.
The good tools are made with selected castings ( higher price) and machined
in Taiwan or else ware, to better tolerances and higher prices.......BLJHB

How many hacksaw blades will 450 dollars buy I wonder.

Probably $450 will buy 225 blades top quality! The problem is not the blades! The problem is the muscles needed to move them through the metal! As I get older I realize that money exist to help us enjoy living! These $450 took looong time to be saved but I enjoy every cent of them when I cut a piece without sweating.

Petcnc, a friend of mine bought that same saw couple of years back on discount for 160 euros here, same make 'Femi' made in italy 105mm diameter cut, and i'm only 250 km away looks like you may have overpaid.

Petcnc, a friend of mine bought that same saw couple of years back on discount for 160 euros here, same make 'Femi' made in italy 105mm diameter cut, and i'm only 250 km away looks like you may have overpaid.

Now you make me feel even worse!
Next time I need a tool I must check out of borders for a decent price, but on the other hand how I can go through customs without paying some stupid taxes... that will be another issue. I think its a win win senario for the government in both cases.
Thanks for the idea though.
Is there any on-line dealer that sell machinery to see some prices?

Back