I Announced My Retirement Date

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My wife passed away from cancer at the end of July, I decide to take the next 6 weeks off, I ‘m suppose to be going back on 9/14/21. During this off time, I decided that I no longer want to work, especially in the industrial boiler industry. The wife was given about 6-8 months, but barely made it 6 weeks. The whole affair has me thinking, why work another 2 years, the wife did not make it to her retirement, she was planning on the end of the year, so that’s my date 12/31/21. I have 3 on going jobs I would like to finish up, before I go, I owe that to the customers, not the company. Work was not happy when I informed them of my plans, but screw them, it my life. Maybe I can get fired between now and then, we can only hope. If I never went back, it really would not bother me.

sorry about your wife, while I know it was short, be thankful, I watched my dad die over 18months. Quick is better. The pain and torture from the cancer can be extreme.

I wish you well.

Sorry to hear about your wife. Good luck enjoy your retirement.

Sorry for your loss. All the best in your retirement. Mike

Jack, it scares the hell outta me to lose my wife but it can happen to me or to her, she's just as scared to be alone but she says she'll manage to survive, I know one thing for sure about my own character, that the only way I can remotely see a possibility to survive her loss is by being occupied all day, every day.
Now that we are both retired (have been for the last 9 years) I can only rely on my shop to keep me busy, why I say that is because I know if she goes before me , and I'm alone in the house, I'll constantly think about her, everything will bring back memories, I'll remember the good times and blame myself for any thing that I did that made her upset.
If you can keep yourself occupied and live the rest of your life as happy as you can possibly be, then retirement is wonderful, I'll bet that's what your wife would have wanted for you.
I am so sorry to hear the passing of the love of your life,Please accept my sincere condolences .

Last edited:
. Work was not happy when I informed them of my plans, but screw them, it my life. Maybe I can get fired between now and then, we can only hope. If I never went back, it really would not bother me.
Very sorry to hear you lost your wife.

I certainly have to agree with your decision. If they are not happy, that means they care more about milking what they can out of you rather than understanding your circumstances. I was diagnosed with cancer a few years back and was treated with no sign of recurrence so far. I gave them my retirement date, about a year out after the diagnosis. But I had a year of sick leave accumulated and additional vacation. I was lucky and they were extremely cooperative, flex time, part time, telecommuting, basically "whatever". I repaid that by doing what work I could. But in the end, it is YOUR life, do what suits you.

Hi Jack,

Wow, I had no idea you went thru that this summer.
I am very sorry for your loss.

About going back to work; nothing makes it clearer than some quiet time to think about where you are.

Put yourself first!
You have earned it.
I bet your customers will agree even if your employer can't see it.

I am so very sorry it will not be what the two of you had planned together.
Cancer is so unfair.

-brino

Sorry for your loss.
Hope time will heal and you can enjoy your retirement.
Martin

Very sad news, so sorry to hear this.

Back