I could really use some advice about making a part...

Hi Guys,

I agree with Bob !
I wanted a 45 degree bevel gear and I had one on the shaft from an angle drive. It turned out that I couldn't get it off the shaft. It was molded around a flattened section, it broke in two when I tried to press it off. That was magnetic and looked like steel.

I had thought that it was on a spline ! I drilled shaft out of the other one on the lathe.

Sounds like that is what this is made of. Probably an upgrade over Zamak but I probably should make sure I don't drop it!

Doesn't cast iron make black powder when it's machined?

I honestly don't know. I have drilled into cast iron once before several years ago. I remembered it was easy to drill but I sure thought it made curls as the drill bit was cutting it...but it was a long time ago and I'm not 100% sure of that.

Powdered
I honestly don't know. I have drilled into cast iron once before several years ago. I remembered it was easy to drill but I sure thought it made curls as the drill bit was cutting it...but it was a long time ago and I'm not 100% sure of that.
Depends on the type of cast iron. There are many types, and with different qualities. Ductile cast iron, for one example, makes curly chips, and is stronger than many steels, in some ways.

Sounds like that is what this is made of. Probably an upgrade over Zamak but I probably should make sure I don't drop it!
Powdered metals can be pretty cheap junk or very high quality. It depends on the choices made by the maker. The tungsten carbide matrix we use as inserts and cutting tools is a powdered metal.

Back