[4]

I could really use some advice about making a part...

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

The Fishing Hobby

Registered
I have gotten a lot done on a lathe that I'm cleaning up to use and I started a thread about it here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/new-to-me-compact-8-cleanup-thread.74067/
I didn't notice that the cross slide lead screw mount was broken until I was taking it apart. This one looks like someone either used solder of possibly jb weld to try and keep it pieced together and painted over it, but when I took it off, it just fell apart into 3 pieces. It seemed to work great but it can't be good to leave it pieced together like it was. I'm good at taking things apart and putting them back together, but I'm no machinist (yet :D). Can anyone tell me how I could make a part like this and have it work out well? I'd love to do one in aluminum if possible. I priced used cross slides on eBay but they are really pricey and they would still have the zamak screw mount that could possibly cause problems later.
Could anyone give me some pointers on a way to tackle making something like that. I only have an older 7x10 HF lathe and drill press so I'm limited on tools to help with the job. I do have a lot of wood working tools (table saw, bandsaw, routers ect) but I'm afraid they won't be real helpful for this.

Anyone have an advise on what I could make given the tools I currently own? Thanks for advice anyone may have! IMG_20181108_084816.jpg IMG_20181108_084826.jpg IMG_20181108_084903.jpg IMG_20181108_084916.jpg

francist

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Can you give us an indication of size, please? Maybe a shot of one of the pieces next to a small scale or something? I have a feeling the part is small, just not sure how small.

-frank

4ssss

Registered
Make the entire thing round and mill the flats.

The Fishing Hobby

Registered
Can you give us an indication of size, please? Maybe a shot of one of the pieces next to a small scale or something? I have a feeling the part is small, just not sure how small.

-frank
Sure thing! It is about 2.5" long, 2-3/8" across the flange that mounts to the cross slide and the round part on the crank handle side is about 2-5/8" in diameter. The hollow bar like section in between is about 1" across and about 9/16" tall. Here are a few more pictures: IMG_20181108_220834.jpg IMG_20181108_221555.jpg IMG_20181108_221627.jpg IMG_20181108_221636.jpg

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
What about turning the basic shape from round stock. It would basically look like a dumbbell. Bore the center hole while in the lathe. Then, using a hacksaw or bandsaw, cut out the shape of the mounting flange on one end. Then drill the two mounting holes.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)

The Fishing Hobby

Registered
What about turning the basic shape from round stock. It would basically look like a dumbbell. Bore the center hole while in the lathe. Then, using a hacksaw or bandsaw, cut out the shape of the mounting flange on one end. Then drill the two mounting holes.
That sounds like it might work! I was just looking around online and noticed the Grizzly G4000 looks like it is very similar to the Emco Compact 8 that I have. That part looks very much like mine. I may see if I can order one from them and then possibly make a better one later. That would allow me to get it up and running...if it would actually work.

francist

Active User
I wonder, would you be able to make it out of one round of aluminum on the old lathe. Start with a round cylinder, neck down the centre to make kind of a spool shape, drill through the centre for the lead screw. Dismount from the lathe and slice (hacksaw) two segments off one end to form the rectangular flange. If the centre part needs clearance on the top, file or grind that flat. This scenario provides for the lead screw to be totally enclosed in the aluminum, but I don't think that really matters much. I suspect the open part of the original was just to facilitate casting without having to use a core mould.
image.png

I see others have responded whilst I was fooling around sketching! ;)

-frank

The Fishing Hobby

Registered
I wonder, would you be able to make it out of one round of aluminum on the old lathe. Start with a round cylinder, neck down the centre to make kind of a spool shape, drill through the centre for the lead screw. Dismount from the lathe and slice (hacksaw) two segments off one end to form the rectangular flange. If the centre part needs clearance on the top, file or grind that flat. This scenario provides for the lead screw to be totally enclosed in the aluminum, but I don't think that really matters much. I suspect the open part of the original was just to facilitate casting without having to use a core mould.
View attachment 279389

I see others have responded whilst I was fooling around sketching! ;)

-frank
That is a great idea too. I just checked the lead screw and it is the same diameter throughout that end of it so that could work too!

The Fishing Hobby

Registered

T. J.

Frank, you drew exactly what I had in mind. Now if you could produce some CAD drawings from all the other ideas I've got in my head, I would be much obliged!:laughing:

The Fishing Hobby

Registered
Frank, you drew exactly what I had in mind. Now if you could produce some CAD drawings from all the other ideas I've got in my head, I would be much obliged!:laughing:
Great minds think alike! Y'all were definitely on the same track :encourage:

mikey

Active User
You should also try contacting the ebay guy, emco_hobby_shop to see if he has one he hasn't listed. If that fails and the grizzly thing fails then here is someone in California with one for sale: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tls/d/emco-lathe-parts/6743118157.htmll. I would not pay what he's asking - maybe dicker with the guy.

This part used to be sold by someone on ebay who machined it from solid stock. I can't find it anymore, sorry.

The Fishing Hobby

Registered
You should also try contacting the ebay guy, emco_hobby_shop to see if he has one he hasn't listed. If that fails and the grizzly thing fails then here is someone in California with one for sale: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tls/d/emco-lathe-parts/6743118157.htmll. I would not pay what he's asking - maybe dicker with the guy.

This part used to be sold by someone on ebay who machined it from solid stock. I can't find it anymore, sorry.
The Grizzly one sure does look right! It is cheap and at their parts place about 3 hours from my house so I should get it quick. It looks to be solid too which would be great if it fits! It almost looks like aluminium but it is hard to tell.
Here are the pictures they have on their site:
part.png

mikey

Active User
Like I said, the Compact 8 was cloned for many years into the ubiquitous 9x20 lathes so it is possible the casting might fit. Fingers crossed.

The Fishing Hobby

Registered
Your comment was what got me looking around! I remembered you said that so I started looking and found this one. I really think it is going to work. If so, I will make sure to update here in case others may need one for an Emco Compact 8. I will also post it in the Emco forum.

markba633csi

I've heard that part is a weak link on these lathes, possibly due to "zinc pest" ; a deterioration which affects zamak parts due to impurities in the zinc
People who collect rare die cast toys sometimes encounter it- in severe cases the metal can literally crumble to dust
mark

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
If it doesn't work, you might be able to make the part you can on the lathe and I bet someone here with a mill would be willing to mill the flats for you.

If you end up looking for a milling attachment, there are a few of us with them sitting around. I have one of these.. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Milling-Attachment-for-G4000/T10721

Decent part, but I ended up buying a Bridgeport. I'm sure I'm not the only one to do something like that. :)

The Fishing Hobby

Registered
If it doesn't work, you might be able to make the part you can on the lathe and I bet someone here with a mill would be willing to mill the flats for you.

If you end up looking for a milling attachment, there are a few of us with them sitting around. I have one of these.. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Milling-Attachment-for-G4000/T10721

Decent part, but I ended up buying a Bridgeport. I'm sure I'm not the only one to do something like that. :)
I could absolutely use one of those!

The Fishing Hobby

Registered
I've heard that part is a weak link on these lathes, possibly due to "zinc pest" ; a deterioration which affects zamak parts due to impurities in the zinc
People who collect rare die cast toys sometimes encounter it- in severe cases the metal can literally crumble to dust
mark
I read that too so I went ahead and ordered the little one for the compound and some other miscellaneous parts as well. I will be sure to update this post and create a new post over in the EMCO section that will go over all the parts that are a good match so others searching in the future will be able to find that info.

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I could absolutely use one of those!
If you decide you want one, check with us. Someone here will likely sell you ours for less than the stores want. I know mine is collecting dust and could be put to better use.

The Fishing Hobby

Registered
Funds are a little tight right now, but I will be looking for something like that in the future. I will be sure to check with everyone about it!

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Maybe you have a welder or acetylene torch in your shop..................:sherlock: or a friend who has one................:idea:

The casting is good enough to use as a pattern for making the part out of steel. It could be made in three pieces
and put together in "weldment" style. The weldment would be much stronger than the original part so would be
a nice improvement. Another option would be to silver solder the three pieces together which would allow easy
positioning of the pieces and repositioning them if needed. The round part could be made on the lathe and
the remaining parts roughed out with a hack saw and file.

The Fishing Hobby

Registered
I received the Grizzly part. All the holes line up correctly but it is about 3mm shorter in length. I think I can just make up a little spacer block and get it to work. The part is solid steel! I didn't expect that, but I think it is a good thing :encourage:

[6]
[5] [7]