I despise a catch-all

I keep a rough, old dial Mitutoyo out for regular use, (tolerences to +/- .002”), check them against standards frequently. And a couple of Tesa’s in the cases for the good stuff. Vernier calipers up to 24” for bigger stuff, kept in their cases. Don’t use mikes a whole lot, as most of my projects do not require it and was taught as an Apprentice to measure within .0005” with calipers.
And measuring tools all be themselves, no handtools occupying those drawers.

I keep a rough, old dial Mitutoyo out for regular use, (tolerences to +/- .002”), check them against standards frequently. And a couple of Tesa’s in the cases for the good stuff. Vernier calipers up to 24” for bigger stuff, kept in their cases. Don’t use mikes a whole lot, as most of my projects do not require it and was taught as an Apprentice to measure within .0005” with calipers.
And measuring tools all be themselves, no handtools occupying those drawers.
The hand tools are there out of necessity. The entire rest of the box is precision tools.

I've been keeping my measuring tools in a couple of retro tool boxes that I up cycled a bit. I bring them in the house of an evening.

Stu

I've always kept a place in my toolbox for my calipers. This box is a Harbor Freight copy of a Kennedy that was gifted me by my mentor. I always opened the caliper box and just dropped them in and closed the drawer to keep them clean.
Anyone see the problem? Lol!

View attachment 468936

I've had this box over 25 years and it's always been the same... the top of the caliper box is a catch-all. Why did this take a quarter century?

View attachment 468937

3 seconds with a razor knife and all that crap has to find a better home! :D

I didn't keep pliers and snap ring pliers and such in my box but it's right next to my workbench where a lot of disassembly and reassembly happens. My micrometers fill the small drawers now. Larger micrometers are in their boxes as they are rarely used.

I can't believe I didn't cut that stupid box when it was from Mitutoyo decades ago. Lol
I have those boxes in my garage, great boxes, a whole set for $84. I wish they still carried them. They are great for the price.
This is one of my metrology drawers. I don't keep anything that is not delicate in there. My other drawer below is all test indicators.
As Clint once said.... A man has to know his limitations... or something like that. Mine is I get real piggy, so keep it separated.
PXL_20231201_213535006.jpg

I DO see the problem, it's TOO CLEAN ! Don't you realize that half the fun is just finding the needed tools ? :big grin:
I do see some little bits of swarf in the drawer, no where near what I’ve found in the “clean” used boxes I purchased in recent history.

Back