I Don't Understand My Drill Bit Chuck

With your indicator setup it looks like you have a lot of overhanging mass all supported on a 1/4 inch pin. That could affect your reading. Not saying it is a factor, but that it could be.

Try checking with your quill both retracted and at full extension and see if the readings are different. That might be a good indication of column tram. A good 12'' square and an indicator might be useful for checking the column tram. Maybe check the square for squareness by laying it on the table and indicate the X & Y, that assumes that your tabel runs square. Not sure how else you could check the square of the square. :)

I very well could be wrong, but since you trammed the head I'm thinking that the spindle is plumb/square with your table, but the column is not. So, envision that your column is tilted at a 45 degree angle (grossly exaggerated), but the spindle/quill is plumb/square with your table. If you raise the head using the column by 2" the spindle would raise 1" and move 1" sideways in the X direction while the whole time the spindle is still in a plumb/square orientation. So, IMO, raising the quill only up and down might not reveal the problem since you've trammed that in. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

Anyways, using an accurate square would be one way although if it were me I'd like to figure out a way to use a dial indicator. It's hard not knowing the machine, what the column/ways might look like and what you have to work with. Do you have any large accurate angle plates you could put on the table and use as a square?

Hopefully others will jump in here with ideas.

Isn't that column keyed? Or does it just use bolts to hold it on and keep it properly aligned?

Ted

Now that I've been blabbing away something dawned on me that I should have asked up front. How are you adjusting things to tram your head in? Are there separate bolts to allow the head to pivot like a Bridgeport or are you adjusting it by tilting the whole column where it attaches to the base?

When I first read your post I was thinking on the lines of a Bridgeport type machine with the pivoting head.

Ted

How about trying this with your 4" machinist square? A bigger square would be better, but I'm thinking you'll be able to get it a lot closer than it is now... Just make sure when you do this you use the column crank to raise/lower the head (as he does in the video) and not the quill.

Ted

Last edited:
How about trying this with your 4" machinist square? A bigger square would be better, but I'm thinking you'll be able to get it a lot closer than it is now... Just make sure when you do this you use the column crank to raise/lower the head (as he does in the video) and not the quill.

Ted
We actually built our own tramming tool and it was a God send...........BB

I've been unable to get to the HMF for a while, but I think you're very likely right.

First off, it is the mill you found and posted the link for. I don't recall any sort of keyway or any other mechanical aid for ensuring the Z axis column is perpendicular to the table, just four large cap screws holding the Z- column to the X/Y base.

I haven't watched that video yet, since it hasn't been long I could access this site.

Back