I Guess I Do Not Understand People And/Or Their Decisions.......

So, in 19 posts, I'm the only one who admits to using google to get the definition of " Sentience ", :frown:
OK Aukai, I won’t leave you hanging out there all by yourself. But I did not catch it until your post, then I went back to find it. After finding it I chalked it up to a iOS auto fill. Then, I did google it

A few years back, my brother asked why I would spend time and money on my Craftsman lathe (101.27440, 12X36) when I could buy one new for the same or less from China. I guess that same thought applies to a goodly number of users here. Or, better still, why I sold a 2004 Chev Diesel pickup (DuraMax/Allison) and shortly after bought a "68 Chev C-30 (dualie) with a PTO hydraulic dump bed.

In both cases, from my perspective, the thinking was (reasonably) sound. In the case of the lathe, it was a matter of weight. My shop is a wood frame structure, an ex-residential structure ca 1907. Weight was the determining factor. The matter of the pick-up is more "fuzzy". I had a(nother) stroke, leaving me in a wheelchair but still able to walk a short distance with a walker. I don't have need for the diesel pick-up, with it's power or speed, since then. The diesel has 31 microcontrollers, the only one it didn't have was "rear wheel steering". But was 4X4, with all the options, so I guess it's a wash.

But I realized I still wanted a truck available, just in case. The '68 can be rewired and refitted as I see fit. Plus it's a stick shift, which anybody can drive. And a "283" engine, which anybody can fix. I thought. . .

The bottom line, in both cases, doesn't make much sense to the "average" person. But to me, with my situation and reasoning, it does. Not the most cost effective solution by far, but suits my beliefs and perspectives.

So, in 19 posts, I'm the only one who admits to using google to get the definition of " Sentience ", :frown:

I assumed something along the lines of 'personal preference'. Now to check with Google.

Edit: close enough..............

a crate of worn files (close to a hundred files), to someone to be resharpen. I asked the cost of such a venture, he said it was about $65 in shipping (another $65 to get them back) and about $8-$10 a file to resharpen them. ...
Not sure what service your friend was using, but (on another forum), many people have reported great success with Boggs Tools.

For example, see:

They charge per inch of file length. They usually use USPS flat rate boxes for shipping so the cost is really reasonable. They can't resurrect really abused files and won't charge for the sharpening service if the file is too far gone.

I don't have any personal experience as the shipping costs to and from Canada make it uneconomic.

BTW, why does your friend need/use that many files? Even with various lengths, cuts and profiles, it is hard to imagine needing that many files.

Craig

Can't make any money selling your services T&M. Flat rate is better.

I guess it based on the kind of work being done. My owner is a multi-millionaire, due to time and material work, if you charge for every minute, mileage and drive time and every item used, how can you lose money??
Flat rate may work on cars, but not on industrial boiler work, T&M is the only way to go.

(26) posts and no one has mentioned Boats yet?
(I going to go look up "Sentience" now...)

@Bi11Hudson, can't fault your logic on the '04 Duramax vs. the '68 C-30.

I sold my 30 ftr....and my 02 Dmax

Remember the show, The Honeymooner, with Jackie Gleason?
Alice said,”your get rich schemes are making us broke”.
I don’t know what that had to do with anything.
How many times do we make a decision we later regret trying to save money.
I don’t know, that 2007 Kia May have been a good investment

As far as flat rates are concerned, experienced mechanics beat the flat rate almost all the time.

Unless it's warranty work with factory flat rate:(
I agree with you on that Jocat54!
I am an auto tech in a Ford dealership. This has been a lifelong career for me. Now would anyone like to tell me how I rip you off. I feel insulted that as a blanket techs are ripoff artists. Where I work management would send those types out the door ASAP because they have a reputation to uphold and so do I.

Back