I hate oilers !

I didn’t mean it that way, sorry... anyway oilers are as basic as can be .. so you are right I should probably replace / pull that one apart and clean it.

I’m not sure I can pull it out without screwing it up (bending it).

thanks for the link, it’s pretty cool that you can still get cup oilers !!

I’m not sure I can pull it out without screwing it up (bending it).
Unless it was a mistakenly loose fit from the factory, the oiler will not come out without ruining it, unless perhaps you can push on the back side of it, which no doubt will require disassembly of parts of the machine. As I posted above, the best way I have found to remove ball oilers from machines is by screwing in a sheet metal screw and then prying the oiler out with a pry bar pulling on the screw. The oiler will be ruined by doing this. Buy a couple spare oilers while you are at it, then you are sure not to ever need another one again (of that size.) ;)

I was thinking if you are able to pull it out use a pencil magnet to get ant chips out and don't spray in WD 40 or air as that will push the crud into the ways. Then again I am a machine rebuilder and if you do and it scores the way you can have me fix it. I see you're in KC....I have a good friend and student and is an excellent scraper / rebuilder who lives in Blue Springs, MO and I'm am sure he would help you repair it as he was a Helicopter tech in the Airforce and he is a gunsmith too. If you want his name and email send me a private message. He has rebuilt his Monarch EE tool room lathe...mechanical and electrical...

Bob, that’s what I’ll do (pry up and replace) if for nothing else to get experience doing it... at least on the one that doesn’t seem to like taking any oil.
Richard, if I was taking it apart I could pop it out, but they are brand spanking new machines so I don’t plan on tearing them down. Thanks for the offer on the friend for help, but I’m ok.

When I dismantled the top slide & apron assembly my Taiwan 14x40 lathe (not a PM) it became clear that the the oil galleries that originate back to the oilers were completely filled with a brown waxy mung. It looked conspicuously like the preservative they coat the machine with. I don't think it was old oil because I always had difficulty injecting into the one nipple even when new. When I ran a wire down the hole & squirts of solvent, eventually a thick plop came out. After that it injected just fine. On another passage, some cast iron drill swarf came out. I'm not saying dismantle your machine but its an example where the problem wasn't the oiler or the oil viscosity. I use medium way oil for everything that slides & in on my lathe also migrates to the apron shafts, journals & select gears.

After reading the last one it reminded me of a class when a guy brought a Asian lathe. I can't remember the brand and when we looked at the oilers...it had a ball oiler pressed into a blind hole. The hole did not go all the way thru to the ways....So as Peter said you would be smart to remove, clean and inspect those cheap models.

In some of Stefan Gotteswinter's YouTube videos he drills out the stock offshore ball oilers with some 'better ones'. I finally tracked down a distributor in Europe. https://www.mafa-shop.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=697

He shows how he drilled out & replaced, so that would be good to watch. I think maybe his offshore rotary table vid? Generally speaking I think you ideally want the part off the machine to ensure shrapnel does not go back into the machine. But maybe others have a trick or experience to cleanly remove it from topside?

I tried contacting the linked dealer about payment options beforehand, which, from personal experience can be painful with certain Euro dealers if they insist on wire transfer or other methods vs Credit card, Paypal etc. we predominantly use in NAm. Never did not get a response & I managed to fix the one on my lathe that had crud in the spring so unfortunately cannot tell you how they may have worked out. They are metric bodies, but but assume so would most machines we buy.

I heard McMaster Carr sells better quality ones but they don't ship to common mortals residing in Canada so cant compare. Note they are IMP diameter bodies so would have to be re-drilled accordingly. https://www.mcmaster.com/oil-fittings

I found some (metric) Asian oilers online, either Ebay & AliExpress cant recall. They seemed to be generically similar to the quality of what is on my machine. Aside from the PITA factor, they were inexpensive enough to have spares.

Back