I have a space problem, lathe related, New ACRA 1440 TVS

I have a 7 x 9 now way too small, I'm hoping the 2 8 x 12s work better.:)

A dumb question here . I keep reading about how simple it is to make your own RPC . If you get a 10 hp motor , should it be single or 3 phase ? And just how much would building vs buying one from American would it be ? Is there a significant savings ? :dunno:

Not an expert. But RPC uses a donor 3 phase motor (10hp) and starting equipment to get it started and running.

Once running and being fed single phase (2 phases of 110v from your 220v breaker box) it kind of uses those *2* phases and approximates the 3rd phase because of the motor

Nothing is perfect so your total 3 phase load is based off of your RPC motor size.

IOW: a 10hp motor on a RPC can power total of 7.5 hp of 3 phase power?

I have not heard it’s easy to set up the start circuit for the RPC. Thats where the professional companies come in.

However, there are people out there (some on this forum?) that can explain it for a home build based totally on your specific donor motor?
(I used PhaseCraft on ebay)

I don’t have mine set up yet. 10hp 3600rpm Baldor motor and Phase-Craft control box

7BF057A4-BD49-4CE5-99F3-595530287D31.jpeg24AD1567-9AC0-4DD7-B9DE-C25903DF1E34.jpeg

There are also a bunch of instances of people using a single phase motor to *drive* a 3 phase motor to accomplish the same thing.
(Belts hooking the two together)
I’m not as familiar with that method

My friend Mike here made a 5hp RPC for me with a 3ph donor motor(idler), I'm not sure if the start circuit would be up to par for 10hp. It's a non issue for me now anyway.

Last edited:
Well I made a decision. The PM 1440 TL is SUPOSED to be in stock in a month, no vfd 1 3 jaw chuck. The ACRA 1440 TVS will be in stock next week, there were 4, with mine they now have 1. It has a smaller through bore at 2 1/16". With the discount the TVS cost 300.00 more, but has more features, the Sterling listing is a retail price, I did not buy from them, but they have good pictures, and product list. My good chucks will now have to get new D1-6 backing plates, and adapters for my MT3 accessories. I'm also going to get the Acu-Rite 203 DRO

Last edited:
Awesome. You'll get two chucks from Acra.

I was doing a little search last night for a D1-6 ER40 collet chuck, the biggest I could find was a D1-5. What's up with that?

I was doing a little search last night for a D1-6 ER40 collet chuck, the biggest I could find was a D1-5. What's up with that?
Shars has at set tru ER-40 chuck that fits their D1-6 mounting plate. Stock has been sketchy. Bought one a month or so back, haven’t assembled it yet

I may have seen that last night Out of stock if I remember correctly

Well I made a decision. The PM 1440 TL is SUPOSED to be in stock in a month, no vfd 1 3 jaw chuck. The ACRA 1440 TVS will be in stock next week, there were 4, with mine they now have 1. It has a smaller through bore at 2 1/16". With the discount the TVS cost 300.00 more, but has more features, the Sterling listing is a retail price, I did not buy from them, but they have good pictures, and product list. My good chucks will now have to get new D1-6 backing plates, and adapters for my MT3 accessories. I'm also going to get the Acu-Rite 203 DRO
Just saw this post, Mike. I think you made a great choice! Happy for you.

Regards

Back