I have to move my 1236

I’m following this thread with interest. I’m still mulling over ideas on how to get a PM-1224-T (24” version of the PM-1236-T) into the basement.

Luckily it’s a straight run into my basement. I’m leaning towards taking the head off...
I should get a quote from a machinery moving company though, if it’s not too expensive it could be money well spent.

StevSmar, with gravity as your friend, it is easier than moving it out!

At less than 500 lbs you could do it with a furniture dolly.
Run a cable from the dolly axle to a vehicle outside as an anchor to control decent speed.

My basement stairs run parallel to the door, and end in a landing shorter than the length of the lathe, and 6" lower than the hall it has to move onto. It's a challenge even to get it down there, but we did it. I'm going to have to rig at least one crane to tip it up when it gets near the top. Gravity made it far easier the other way down, and it will be much harder to pull it up rather than let it down. Wife is like "sell it and buy another one later" but I only have two weeks left even if I wanted to sell it (at a loss). I'm going to be stubborn LOL.

A few 2x4s can anchor a pulley that will let a cable go around a 90° corner just fine.

Plan 2
Wife is like "sell it and buy another one later" but I only have two weeks left even if I wanted to sell it (at a loss). I'm going to be stubborn LOL.

Sounds like a leave it there and buy the 1440 to me........

My basement stairs run parallel to the door, and end in a landing shorter than the length of the lathe, and 6" lower than the hall it has to move onto. It's a challenge even to get it down there, but we did it. I'm going to have to rig at least one crane to tip it up when it gets near the top. Gravity made it far easier the other way down, and it will be much harder to pull it up rather than let it down. Wife is like "sell it and buy another one later" but I only have two weeks left even if I wanted to sell it (at a loss). I'm going to be stubborn LOL.

Can you cut a hole in the landing wall and make it a straight shot from the basement?

Out of the truckbed, down a steep flight of stairs, through a narrow kitchen, then a doorway and an immediate left turn into a narrow hallway, followed by a narrow right turn through another doorway into the shop.
Only around 450 pounds but WELL WORTH the $125 for two big guys who knew what they were doing to gracefully manhandle it into my shop.

I bought a PM-1228 a year ago and moved it into an upstairs garage apartment with just one other person. I pulled the motor, tailstock, chuck, and part of the carriage. It needed minor cleaning and this gave me a lot of access in the process. I knew absolutely zero about lathes at the time so I was not comfortable removing the entire apron assembly. i'm guessing the remaining assembly weight was in the 300-325lbs range. I used a refrigerator dolly and put the assembly on it, headstock at the bottom. I also moved the apron towards the headstock which concentrated the weight on the wheels and lightened the load on the handles. I could move it around single-handed on flat ground.

The sheet metal cover for the headstock geartrain is not strong enough to support the weight, so I removed the cover and made a small 2x6 frame to support the machine via the casting. After getting the unit upstairs and assembled, I quickly found out that part of the cross slide power feed was broken by the previous owner and I learned a LOT about my machine very quickly. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the apron and leadscrew/feed screws if I had to do that again.

Time is running out with having to commute to PA to find a house. That's settled now, but there's still the garage sale this weekend and more packing. Never seems to end. Getting nervous about getting it done.

I would remove the lathe from the pedestal(s) or bench if it is mounted that way. Lathes on stands are notoriously top heavy, VERY easy to tip over, with serious damage sustained, sometimes to the workers, too. I would move it from the stand to a couple 2x8 boards cleated together, and then bolt the lathe down tight to the boards. Carriage bolts coming up from under the boards are a good way to attach the lathe to the "sled." Find a winch with enough cable to pull it up the stairs over plywood laid down to protect the stairs and to keep the work on a continuous smooth surface. Block up your landing to the same height as the bottom of the door opening at the top of the stairs so you will only need to swing the lathe in one plane to turn it, then slide it through the door.

Back