I have to move my 1236

I moved my 900+ pound Grizzly lathe up steep cellar stairs a few weeks ago. I used an engine hoist to remove it from the stand, rolled it across the floor on Harbor Freight casters, lifted it onto a very sturdy bench with the engine hoist, built a sideways A frame contraption at the top of the stairs, screwed two 2x12’s to the edge of the bench which rested on the landing, and pulled it up with a battery powered winch. The prep took about 10 times longer than the move. But it was remarkably easy overall.

And it’s not a bad idea to drain the headstock oil before you tip it up a steep slope. With the 36” tall bench at the foot of my stairs, it only had another 40” of rise over 8 feet, so it was easier to pull, and I didn’t lose any oil. That’s two things I didn’t think of on the way down the stairs originally.

Yeah, we learned that when we brought it down! LOL Oil started leaking out the spindle bearing.

I have broken down my 12x36 to get it into and out of a basement. Used ropes and some rock climbing gear to get it down the stairs on a ramp. Then a comealong for getting it up. Not too bad honestly

Machine tool moves are always a memorable event.
I can remember every one of mine. Mostly good memories.
There was the one with the bad tire on the trailer......Bob remembers that one.
Preparation and having the power equipment available is key.
Slow and easy baby.

Well my Wife and temptation for an upgrade convinced me to sell the lathe. Of course, we still had to move it out of there. Between me, the buyer (young man and his dad) we got it out in about 3 hours. We took off the headstock and motor and all other loose parts, and trucked them up on dollys. The bed was a challenge even with three people hauling on it, but we got it done. At least the new place has ground level access to the basement. :)

Another PM of course, but better! TBD... Tool Acquisition Disorder is strong with me, so there's many things. My wife is not going to be happy with me , but she's the one who suggested a "better" lathe if I sold this one, so it's all on her. :)

Hmmmmmm......

CNC......????

Well she said better.........

Back