I Hope you guys aren't throwing your used inserts away!

NitroViper

Registered
Registered
Like my mentor taught me, I always sharpen my used carbide bits to make excellent lathe and shape tools. I don't see anybody on YouTube doing this, is it uncommon? I can literally get more than three times the ammount of life of each insert, and I can even grind chip breakers on them, of course I'm a cheap skate but money saved, is money I can spend on more machines hehe
Here's a test cut on some random soft rusty steel with a 1mm DOC and 500 rpms, I could get it even better but again, it's 1mm depth of cut, and 1mm isn't exactly a spring pass. Anyway hope you guys enjoy. IMG20230112193646.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230112193639.jpg
    IMG20230112193639.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG20230112193614.jpg
    IMG20230112193614.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG20230112193934.jpg
    IMG20230112193934.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 47
  • VID_20230112200305.mp4
    26.8 MB
I'm as cheap as they come, but at a $1 each new (or less) I just can't get motivated. Even the price of a used HF carbide grinder would buy me a lifetime supply of each of the inserts I use.

Last edited:
I got an eBay deal for a top notch style holder and a dozen .157 grooving inserts. I grind these to any smaller width needed, and made a trepanning cut that way for an O ring groove in titanium. Worked great. I have several top notch holders and several styles of inserts, so for me the Kennametal inserts and holders seem pretty effective.

I'm as cheap as they come, but a $1 each new (or less) I just can't get motivated. Even the price of a used HF carbide grinder would buy me a lifetime supply of each of the inserts I use.
I wish I could find good inserts for 1 dollar :(

I'm as cheap as they come, but at a $1 each new (or less) I just can't get motivated. Even the price of a used HF carbide grinder would buy me a lifetime supply of each of the inserts I use.
If you turn stuff at the speeds and depth of cut the not-very-sharp insert is designed to have it's chip breaker work at, then that's great!
Stefan's motivation was to grind them custom, to suit his need, and take advantage.

Dead sharp in carbide comes with also getting fragile, because of the brittleness, but if you know that, and adjust your technique to suit, a pile of used inserts and a cheap diamond disc getup is a great resource.

I got an eBay deal for a top notch style holder and a dozen .157 grooving inserts. I grind these to any smaller width needed, and made a trepanning cut that way for an O ring groove in titanium. Worked great. I have several top notch holders and several styles of inserts, so for me the Kennametal inserts and holders seem pretty effective.
Can you post photos/descriptors of your collection?

Can you post photos/descriptors of your collection?
Would be happy to, but we’re vacationing in Oaxaca, won’t be back home until sometime in February. Or until the rain stops, whichever comes last.

Would be happy to, but we’re vacationing in Oaxaca, won’t be back home until sometime in February. Or until the rain stops, whichever comes last.
Great. Looking forward to it. And if you don't mind, please PM me that it's up so I don't inadvertently miss it.

Regards

Oh. And enjoy your vacation. That rain doing any damage to your operation?

Back