I Killed It !!! ~~~~ My Bandsaw

We went to Quartzite for the rock shows last week,and dropped down to Yuma to visit some friends wintering there.Guess what Yuma has on the main drag, you guessed it a HF. First one this Canuck had ever seen.

On oils, most EPs do eat brass,but those with auto numbers like 75/140 aren't likely to.For all I use, a litre of syn diff oil is cheap enough.Sure beats buying a 20 litre pail of the non EP gear oil.

From the looks of it, the Harbor Freight, Grizzly, and Shop Fox band saw are all the same except for the paint job.
From the sound of it, you use it a lot and since one part went bad makes you wonder what's next and how soon.
A new saw sounds to be the best bet to me.

GL-4 gear oil is for the early GM 4 speed transmissions with brass synchronizers.

Found these two used, industrial band saw on craigslist not too far from Yuma. A little dirty, but not much more or less than a new HF saw.
https://tucson.craigslist.org/tls/d/metal-band-saw/6464467928.html
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/for/d/franklin-industrial-metal/6461066960.html

3hrs drive one way for either of them. A full day out of the shop basically. I have to add that to the cost along with fuel, and add the possibility its more clapped out than I want to work on. Its not a bad idea, but I wouldn't make the drive to just check out the saw. Now if I was going to Phoenix or Tucson anyway, I'd be all over the Craigslist and Facebook groups looking to see what I could find.

When I went to Vegas with my wife a few years back I took my truck and spent some time scouring the same looking for a contractors cap for my truck. I found a decent one at a good price, but I was in Vegas for the week anyway. I didn't have to factor in all that extra cost.

FYI: We saw some good shows in Vegas, but I particularly enjoyed the street performers. Some of them you may have seen on talent competitions on television.

For now I red labeled the gear from Grizzly. It should be here today. I cut out a blank to make an aluminum gear, but between other work I just haven't had time to finish it. While I was fretting over it I received an email from a customer telling me they would be duplicating a large order of parts. As soon as their check arrives I'm going to order a bigger badder saw.

Reactions: Z2V
While I was fretting over it I received an email from a customer telling me they would be duplicating a large order of parts. As soon as their check arrives I'm going to order a bigger badder saw.

Isn't it sweet when a problem solves itself.

Notice anything missing. Sigh!
HF Bandsaw.jpg

There was sticky gunk in the mess too. Like some kind of sealant that didn't gel solid when covered in oil.

The review I just posted on the HF website:

Chowder to Powder

When I first got my saw it seemed to like it had been partially assembled once before. The belt cover was installed and there was a chip out of one of the pulleys. Harbor Freight wanted me to ship the saw back for a replacement. Well we all know how unreasonable that is. Then they said they would give me a credit so I could just go buy a new pulley. That's the first star. Some decent service if it took a little arguing to get it. The second star is because I have used this saw for several years, and for the last year every single day in my shop. That's the second star. I use it for rough sizing stock to go on my mill or lathe. A couple days ago it quit working. A blade broke, but that happens. The big thing is it wouldn't turn with any tension on the new blade. I opened up the gear box and found the brass gear had turned mostly to powder. The oil looked like gold metal flake paint. More like something you might see on an early 80s model custom low rider than in a gear box. I ordered a new gear and today I proceeded to try and install it when I found a piece missing. Look at the picture. The casting where the bearing goes is broken and the piece is missing. It wasn't inside the gear box. It was just missing. There was some nasty gunk in the oil when I proceed to clean it out. Like maybe some not fully cure silicone or something. I don't know if this was a used returned saw they pawned off on me, or if it was a saw broken at the factory and shipped damaged or maybe both, but its an absolute miracle that it lasted as long as it did.

Back