I know this is a long shot

I am trying to install the oil pump gear on this engine . I have to time the gear. I got a nut on the crank and a 1 1/2 inch socket on it. I am trying to turn the engine over with a 3 1/2 foot brake bar. The engine will not rotate. So the question is. How hard is it to rotate a 3 cylinder Diesel engine . Have not put ALL my weight on it but close. Just don't want to brake anything. Thanks for any help. PS This is a Caterpillar engine

Remove the injectors this releases the pressure on the cylinders. You should be able t turn by hand .

Can you remove injectors and then reinstall them with out buying seals and parts to get them to seal?

Something is big wrong...

Starter motor can turn normal and breaker bar not so something causing not to turn...

Can you turn it backwards?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I am trying to turn it clockwise right now. I have the harmonic pulley installed on the crank and using a socket on the nut for the pulley with a socket on it. The engine is on a engine stand.

I got the engine to turn approximately 250 degrees counter clockwise then it stops. The pan is off the motor. Looks like the rear piston is stoping at the same place when you turn it clockwise and counterclockwise I think this is not good. Any thoughts. If and when I get this to turn over is the anyone here who can help me time the engine ? I am trying to help someone out with this engine. He has been going through a hard time the lass few years.

This is a process of elimination. Be sure all the injectors are removed .Step 1 remove the timing chain. This takes the cam and valve train out of the equation. Try and turn it. If it goes you know where the problem is.( camshaft or valve train)
If its still tight flip the engine over and start removing connecting rod caps one at a time, to disconnect the rods from the crank and turn the engine after the removal of each cap. If after all the caps are off and the connecting rods are disconnected, and its still hard to turn start removing crankshaft bearing caps. It should at some point turn easily.
Concerning timing. Normally you would put number 1 cylinder a TDC on the compression stroke, and align the mark on the camshaft gear with the corresponding mark on the crankshaft. To time the injectors you'll have to consult the correct service manual, as not all engines have the same procedure.

On the front of the engine you got the crankshaft .Then the oil pump gear and then a gear at the top of the engine that goes to the injector pump. I guess the cam is hooked up to the injection pump gear in side the engine. I think I got a piston problem on the back piston. I will see if the owner wants to proceed further . Thank all of y'all for the help.

Back