I Lathed!

you have all the ducks in a row, great job!
tig may be the only process i would consider near a lathe or other machine tool, it's the perfect process.

May I extend the advice a bit? Think of the current path in any welding job
and bypass ALL bearings........BLJHB

[QUOTE="...snip... tig may be the only process i would consider near a lathe or other machine tool, it's the perfect process.[/QUOTE]

I would argue that TIG is not "the perfect process". When doing precision work, you-as-the-weldor, are right in the middle of the process and are constantly making minor adjustments to make the weld as close to perfect as humanly possible.

But you can not beat the amount of heat-and-filler for big jobs that is stick. For quick jobs on thin-to-moderate materials, the electric glue gun that is MIG is just sooooooo handy.

When I started with TIG, I fell in love with welding all over again. But "perfect"? There is no one process for everything.

May I extend the advice a bit? Think of the current path in any welding job
and bypass ALL bearings........BLJHB

As I mentioned above, bearings and welding don't mix.

------------------

I've put about 7 hours of run time on the repaired shaft. The whole kit-and-caboodle is operating better than it has since we bought it!

For what it's worth I'v built up a lot of shafts on my lathe using spray weld just cover the ways with a piece of plywood.
Real handy since you can turn shaft with your hood down and build up 360° all the way around the piece.
********Just Saying*************G***************** cartangrysj1.gif **********************

Yea, would be handy, but you have better luck than I have. Mine would be on fire just to because it was me.

For what it's worth I'v built up a lot of shafts on my lathe using spray weld just cover the ways with a piece of plywood.
Real handy since you can turn shaft with your hood down and build up 360° all the way around the piece.
********Just Saying*************G***************** View attachment 109304 **********************
By "spray" you mean spray transfer MIG? Kinda messy, innit?

No mig. Oxy/ac tourch. Easy just heat till cherry red then flip the torch over and hit the big lever and the bottle will feed the powder into the flame and stick to the work piece.
Give me a minute and i'll post some pictures.
*****************G*********************

As promised pictures of Ox/Acl Spray welder
metal-powder-spray-welding-torch.jpg

Mine is a little different but this will do.
**********Just Saying****************G*********

Wow! Neat!

Just need to keep the finely ground steel power dry between uses.

Bernoullli principle, like a sandblaster. Only it adds material. Kewl.... er. Hot!

Back