"I learned machining by..."

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
[We had a similar thread a long while ago, but, with some new people aboard, some newcomers to the hobby or craft, I felt maybe we should repeat it]

"I learned machining by.............................." (fill in the blank)

Thanks!

:tiphat:Nelson

What little I know I've learned by doing and reading. Theres know one around here to help a guy learn.

Paul

Shop class in high school, shop class in college, Dave Gingery's books, Youtube videos, Yahoo groups to name a few. Most of all, trial, error, success, trial, error, success etc.

I haven't yet.:lmao:

Just kidding, what little I know has been from reading (books and internet) and just having a go.

H-M is a great resource:biggrin:

I learn machining by photographing and writing about it for my Web site.

Really, there's nothing like "putting it out there" to keep you honest and teach you to clean up your methods. That, and daily reading of five machining forums (fora?) are my main methods of learning - along with my favorite hobby of making mistakes.

I've been serious about learning machining for seven years now, and I feel like I'm getting the hang of it - with lots of road yet ahead, of course. I started HomeShopTech.com a bit over 3 years ago, although I'd been writing more casually about my machining since 2002 on FRETS.COM. This year I kinda let the writing slide after my open-heart surgery, although I've been accumulating a ton of photos for future articles.

One thing I've learned is that there's no end to the amount of $$ you can spend on tooling. It's so much easier than collecting antiques or other artifacts. There, you have to find and chase down the items you want, and that can take a lot of effort. With machining, all you have to do is get out the catalog & credit card, and magically, the money drains away effortlessly.

My granfather was a tool and die maker for Stewart Warner in their instrument division. He had a shop in his basement. As a child I was the only one of my brothers who had the patience to stand and watch him work. One day, whenIi was about seven or eight, he asked me if I would like to try it. I spent all day just making chips.

By owning an old 10KW military surplus generator that was constantly breaking down. I have a friend that has been a machinist for 40+ years and he advises me when I get into something I shouldn't have (I'm talking machining here). I bought a Smithy Granite, a 1947 13" SBL, a Racine power hacksaw and he gave me an Atlas horizontal mill. I have discovered the most expensive machine to tool up is the Atlas, so I don't use it a lot. Now I'm looking for a verticle mill that I can make room for in my shop and I will divest myself of that Atlas. LOL

Patrick

When I was a kid, I went to my dad and said, "My bike has a flat." He said, "Well fix it." I said, "I don't know how." He said, "Well learn." I had watched him do it, so I got the job done. A few weeks later, my older brother said to Dad, "My bike has a flat." He said, "Get your brother to do it."

The whole episode served two purposes - I learned that I could figure things out, and I was basically given permission to use the tools. I've been making things, fixing things, and figuring things out ever since.

At one point, I needed a small part made out of brass - might have been a piston for an SOSE. I laid the drill press down on it's back, stuck a piece of a brass valve stem in the chuck, fastened a carriage bolt to the table as a tool rest, put a piece of 1/4" HSS into a wooden handle and turned the piece the same way I would do wood turning.

A few years later, I got a brand new Taig micro-lathe, complete with all the accessories for metal. That got me going for a while. Then I moved up to the 'huge' mini-lathe. Wow! 7 x 12. A mini-mill followed a few months later. (Do you notice the acceleration?) Then welding - O/A, MIG, stick/TIG.

A year or two of that setup and I picked up a lightly-used ZX-25 mill/drill, then the Hercus lathe.

Pretty much all of my metal-working has been self-taught, with hints and tips being picked up from books and the internet, and, of course, from the guys on this forum. The main thing, as Dave has said, is to just do it. Make chips, make mistakes. Count your fingers at the end of the day.

taking machine tool trades my junior and senior year in high school and stupid enough to keep doing it for 23yrs after i got out of school..:biggrin:

getting burnt out doing it for a living... but i find it peaceful doing it at home.

Reading and doing. I've always liked metal work, but only got the real tools (lathe and mill) a few years ago. With lots of reading and then some doing I've figured out enough to be able to accomplish things. I always try to figure out why what I've done is not perfect, and learn from that. When I read the books I have for the second and third time I pick up stuff I missed because I've now done some of it. The material on the Internet is great. You have to figure out for yourself what to believe though.

It is amazing how much more I know about simple stuff like drilling holes. I mean, years ago, I just took a drill, put in a bit and pushed. Now I understand what the cutting edge is doing a lot more and how importand the correct speed and pressure is.

I love learning, and hobby machining will keep me llearning for a while yet.

Back