"I learned machining by..."

welder by trade, i always worked with cars as a hobby and did the normal tinkering. I watched my uncle run a lathe turning big truck hubs and what ever needed machining and i was the welder in the shop, well i got a 46 gmc ton and a half one summer and cut it down to a standard wheel base and then put a bigger gmc 270 engine in it that came out of a amphibious duck but the 4 speed trans went out,had no money to buy steel bearings but i had a supply of brass bushings some i mounted on a bolt and put in the drill press and turned on and use corse sand paper to turn to same size as the steel bearings then some i had to drill out to make bigger to fit my transmission's needs. when my uncle found out what i did and found out it worked he started showing me little things on the lathe, but did not get into the lathe untill a year ago. save a 11 inch sheldon from the scrap yard, with a little cleaning a bronze bushing here and there it turning metal again 1946 model

Working in a machine shop in highschool, 16 years old first job 8 dollars an hour under the table doing 40 hour weeks big money for someone with no bills, learned the basics. A few years worked for an old school tool and die maker learned alot from him and now I am the only person that works on his guns or is allowed in his tool box.
Funny enough I did not want to have my own equipment I had access to a full tool and die shop but about 3 years ago I started to learn the bag pipes and had a wild hare to turn my own set, bought equipment got in a fight with another piper decided to work on guns instead, more lucritive I think.

Justin Bowerman
JB Enterprise
07 FFL IN CEN CA

Trial and error. Web sites. Youtube came along later and has mostly beginner stuff.
Mostly the machine shop in the town I work in. Their machinist is a retired fellow who ran shops for 40+ years.
I use to repair motorcycles and 4 wheelers and he needed his rebuilt, we hit it off good and have been friends ever since.
He is a great mentor. tommie

I took all the shop, drafting, and math [this is important too] classes I could in high school, then 2 yrs. of trade school. Joined the Army, went through their machinist school, and was asked to teach; lasted for about 10 months before a year doing machine work in an aviation outfit in Viet Nam. Then I did an apprenticeship, got my card, and have been at it since, both at work and home. All this started in 1961 and I have no regrets doing it, been a good living, and a huge learning experience.

I've got a long way to go before I can say I 'learned' machining. When I was a teenager in the Navy, the path from the boiler room to the berthing compartment whet through the ships machine shop. Sometimes it took me a looong time to go from one place to the other. I would stop and watch and ask questions.

Later I took a class at New Mexico State University that hit briefly on many different skills. We got to weld a little, we did some sand casting with aluminum, got to run a mill as well as a shaper. Of course, there was a bit of Lathe work in there too. All in all, a great class.

A few years later I worked part time as a gun smith in a little shop. Later I got married and moved to the next town over. One day I got a call from the gunsmith asking if I wanted to buy his 'little' lathe. It was a 10" Atlas with quick change. My eyes rolled back in my head before I said YES!. Then I had to come up with the cash.

I used that lathe for 38 years. I look at Craig's list occasionally, about once a month. While going through the tools section, I saw and add for a Closing Lathe. "What is that?" I asked myself, so I clicked on it. It turned out to be the 'big' lathe from the gunshop. It is a Clausing 6301. My poor little trailer was pretty overloaded when I brought it home. I would have worried a lot if I knew how much it weighed. (1450 lbs with the sheet metal stand - mine has a heavy wooden stand)

09 lathe_012.jpg09 lathe_001.jpg

The gunsmith sold it to my ex-roommate and recently he lost a bout with cancer. I bought the Atlas Clausing from his wife, and sold the 10" to a friend of mine. He is having a absolute ball with the machine.

09 lathe_012.jpg 09 lathe_001.jpg

Hands on and school of hard knocks. Luckly I still have all my diggets :) I am more into learning something as I need it. Never had the patience to learn something I wasn't going to put into practice right away. Sure wish I would have tho! Guess it gives me something to do in my later years. I have a lot of friends who always come to me when either they break or need something made. Usually figure out something for them which keeps them happy and me busy.

My father and brother were both tool and die makers. My mother was a machinist during WWII. I guess you could say it was in my blood. I started working at my neighbors shop when I was 7 years old. It's him that I have to thank for the skills that I have today.

Started by putting a piece of steel in an old Southbend (12 or bigger lathe) I can not remember the size. It was owned by a friends mother in law. I then bought an Atlas 10F24 and continued to learn and made many mistakes. This was before Internet. I bought a school text and read that front to back many times and this reduced the number of mistakes.
Now I am paid to do this, but still learning.

Started by putting a piece of steel in an old Southbend (12 or bigger lathe) I can not remember the size. It was owned by a friends mother in law. I then bought an Atlas 10F24 and continued to learn and made many mistakes. This was before Internet. I bought a school text and read that front to back many times and this reduced the number of mistakes.
Now I am paid to do this, but still learning.

in about 1947 my grandfather had stuabaker car had a bad journl on a rod bearing and no $$ to fix it so he pulled all the pistons but the bad one oiled the main bearing kept just 2 installed pit emery cloth in the cap of the bad one with the bad rod no power like 120 ele. so he put a briggs s. engine on the pully in front bout 2 days later no mikes I think he had a calper smoked the crank with a miner carbide lite poured abearing out of babbit the old car ran for about 7 yr then got it hit big time we do what we have to gotogojo

Years of part-time mentoring under a pistolsmith friend of mine. Got good enough to be offered a job over the phone with a top 10 pistolsmith in the middle of fly-over country, and was offered the gunsmithing part of my friend's business when he decided to go full-on machine shop, but I already had a well-paying career as an engineer. Thought really hard about both of them though...

So I'm not a machinist (far from it), but I do like to tinker and am able to make things with some of their tools. :D

Back