I live in the hottest aeria on the planet.......tomorrow

We had a tragedy here a couple of days ago. About two hours drive south of me a family of illegal immigrates was trying to walk across the border into the US. This is across wide open prairie farmland at -30 Celsius. Mother, father, baby and a teen all froze to death. Just a terrible tragedy. Victims of human smuggling.

I had no idea there was a problem with border crossing issues along the US-Canada border. I would assume if there was one, it would be in the opposite direction. People going north for access to health care. This is a tragedy, and compounded in my mind by how seemingly pointless it was. This is like dying while trying to walk from Target to Wal Mart, taking the long way through miles frozen tundra, when they're right across the street from one another.

I had no idea there was a problem with border crossing issues along the US-Canada border. I would assume if there was one, it would be in the opposite direction. People going north for access to health care. This is a tragedy, and compounded in my mind by how seemingly pointless it was. This is like dying while trying to walk from Target to Wal Mart, taking the long way through miles frozen tundra, when they're right across the street from one another.
what's even worse, is there are areas that the border is on a street, and people down the street are in Canada and the other end is the USA, no border crossing, so why go to the frozen tundra?

what's even worse, is there are areas that the border is on a street, and people down the street are in Canada and the other end is the USA, no border crossing, so why go to the frozen tundra?
Exactly! I can't view the article (subscription required), maybe the part that makes it make sense is in there, but since it was said that they were victims of human trafficking, maybe it is safe to assume they were new arrivals and their ignorance was preyed upon. Maybe they had no idea it was so easy, and/or they were explicitly instructed to do it this way for some silly reason.

Back