I made My first left hand thread.

I used a sharpie in a boring bar holder to trace out the thread inside the tube, to convince myself I got it correct. It can be quite confusing. Am I correct that if the leadscrew and the spindle are rotating the same way (either CW or CCW, but both the same) a right hand thread is cut? And if they are counter-rotating one gets a left hand thread?

I used a sharpie in a boring bar holder to trace out the thread inside the tube, to convince myself I got it correct. It can be quite confusing. Am I correct that if the leadscrew and the spindle are rotating the same way (either CW or CCW, but both the same) a right hand thread is cut? And if they are counter-rotating one gets a left hand thread?
True, if you have a right hand leadscrew, some lathes have LH leadscrews, notably Monarch.

The only difference in machine setup with threading toward the headstock and threading away from the headstock is the machine is run in reverse when threading away - nothing else changes. You can check your setup by making a test pass (don't cut any metal) on the outside of the part.

How did you cut a left handed screw thread threading away from the chuck?

The first thread I made, many years ago in High School shop class. Went great, looked pretty and all, but then when I tried to fit the nut, I realized I made a left hand thread, not right hand. The teacher saw me do it, and let me learn from my mistake. Was not so funny then, but made for many laughs over the years.

I also learned that people remember better if they are allowed to make their own mistakes (safely that is). I used that a lot in the military. The upper echelon did not always agree with me, but I think my results over the years told the truth.

You know how You can get lost in the details, well........................... Did not see the forest for the trees.

With a Hardinge it's dead easy.to make LH or RH, just the order of operations. Thus, I have made more than one unwanted left hand thread :-(

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back