I need (inexpensive) 6 conductor wire

lesrhorer

Registered
Registered
I am doing some 230VAC signal wiring on my mill, but I can't find any suitable wire. Since these are only carrying signals, the wire does not need to carry any significant current, and due to both size and cost restrictions it should be reasonably small. It needs to have six conductors. does not need shielding, and should probably be between 20 and 24 AWG. It can be either stranded or solid. Since the signals are going to be 230VAC, 60Hz, the cable need to be rated for 600VDC. I have been looking around, but all I can find is either high current (16AWG or more) or only rated for 300VDC. I need about 10 feet total length. I could possibly use individual multi-colored wires, but a single six-core cable is much preferred. PVC insulation is fine.

When I hooked up the control box on my mill head, I used a printer cable from an old computer. I find it hard
to envision a number of control signal wires operating at that voltage. But then I don't know exactly what you are doing.
If indeed the voltages are what you say, one could make up a custom cable with individual color coded wires. I don't know the voltage rating on rotor cable for antennas but they usually have eight color coded wires. That might be something to look into. A little more information on your project would be helpful.

Check Ebay or Amazon,
Or one of the electronics houses like Newark or DigiKey or Mouser

230V is unusually high, 24V or 12V is much more common for signal. McMaster has 600v, 18ga 6 conductor at around $4 a foot. Not sure you can get it any cheaper, maybe try a surplus vendor. Could you possibly run 2 @ 3 conductors? That you might find much cheaper as its way more common.

Must be an unusual case- signal lines are rarely more than 24 v
If it's for VFD signalling

Last edited:
I used 9 conductor cable for my signal wiring when setting up my VFD. Got it on Amazon

Ribbon cable comes to mind. You can get it in multicolor to make it easy to hand-wire stuff. It's easy to split so if all you find is 10-conductor or the like, just split off what you don't need.

If it is in fact signal wire CAT6/CAT6A Ethernet cable comes to mind. You can get solid or stranded and 8 distinct conductors color coded for a very inexpensive price. Depending on use and mfr it comes in 16 - 23 AWG sizes.

A 6 conductor is not common, either 5 or 7. The key word is 600V rating, and although this may be control wiring the gauge should be in accordance with the fuse rating for the wiring, as a short circuit could cause the wire/insulation to go up in smoke very quickly. Automation direct has 20AWG and 22AWG on 600/1000V rating at around a $1-2/foot, 20'minimum. Free shipping on orders over $50. Ebay listing below is for 10' 600V for $14 shipped.

Last edited:
Back