[4]

I need plans for a simple engine

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

TQA222

Registered
I will have a 7 x 12 mini lathe and need a turning exercise to get me started. I did some hobby work in a well equipped college workshop some 35 years ago so am not a total beginner. I was attracted by the Stuart V twin wobbler and may well have a go at one some time but it seems to require very little turning and some really complicated set up work to machine the frame square.

So I am looking for plans or preferably a kit with everything I need to build a simple engine. It needs to be mostly lathe work. It could be an IC engine or a steam engine but I am open to suggestions. I think I would prefer bar stock to castings as I have had some experience with castings that had parts that were hard, in fact extraordinarily hard.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
A compressed air engine might be fairly simple, just need to figure out how you want to arrange the valving/porting
Plenty of ideas on the internet

Technical Ted

I'm actually making this one for my grandson now. Pretty simple, but a fun project. You can also get a drawing for this as well from Toly.

Have fun!
Ted

westsailpat

Last edited:

homebrewed

Registered
Jan Ridders has a number of interesting engine designs. I haven't made any of his so can't say what the difficulty level is.

TQA222

Registered
Jan Ridders has a number of interesting engine designs. I haven't made any of his so can't say what the difficulty level is.
His flame eater looks interesting and is not something I had seen before.

MozamPete

Elmer’s ‘fancy’ engine is predominatly lathe work with only a couple of bits where flats have to be milled.

TQA222

Registered
OK Scratch the idea of building a flame eater. From all I have read it seems that most do not run.

kvt

Active User
I started out with a couple of the wobbler engines. Good practice and simple

gjmontll

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
My first home machining project was a Webster Engine. The plans are free; Google it for much information.
My lathe (an Atlas 618 at that time) was used for several key parts, including cylinder, piston, piston rings, valves and valves guides, intake and exhaust pipe, flywheel, cam, and oilers.
http://www.plans-for-everything.com/downloads/ic_engines/ICG_Webster.pdf

Greg

[6]
[5] [7]