I Scored Some Nice Tools Today

image.jpeg The end plate shows the maker's mark once cleaned up.

image.jpeg I don't believe these gears have ever been turned. Not a scratch on them anywhere. The base doesn't have any scratches at the mounting holes, like it has never been bolted down. The unmarked paint is still there. The shop teacher didn't know what this was so it laid in the high school shop for years, then his basement for more years. ( doesn't say much for him being a metal shop teacher).

image.jpeg I washed up all the parts and now will polish, paint , and reassemble.

The Gulledge Machine works could be the original name to the Ellis brand before a name change. Go back and see if the guy has the other two index plates hidden down in his basement. May have gotten over looked when cleaning out. Just a thought. Very nice find you have there!!!!

The Gulledge Machine works could be the original name to the Ellis brand before a name change. Go back and see if the guy has the other two index plates hidden down in his basement. May have gotten over looked when cleaning out. Just a thought. Very nice find you have there!!!!

Unfortunately there is only the one plate , but I can make any I need.

I cleaned everything and painted the base and body. It works smooth and is great.
image.jpeg There are some details yet. I have to put the spindle lock in and recondition the sector arms. I also have to make a new pin for the spring loaded pin the locates the plate.

image.jpeg I made a new nut for the rear of the spindle as it was missing. I machined a split nut that secures with a 6-32 SHCS. This lets me set the clearance on the spindle for smooth operation with no end play. The main part is done. It is details now.

Mark,

Someone just sold a Mint Ellis dividing head over on another forum. It had all of three plates, a six-jaw Buck chuck, 3C collet setup plus a bunch of collets and original tailstock. Sold for $400!

Mark,

Someone just sold a Mint Ellis dividing head over on another forum. It had all of three plates, a six-jaw Buck chuck, 3C collet setup plus a bunch of collets and original tailstock. Sold for $400!
Wow! A lot of money but worth it.

I am figuring out the taper in the spindle. I think it is a #4 morse taper. A number 3 fits really loose. I will mak a ER 40 holder for mine. The spindle thread is 1 3/4-8. All my stuff is 1 1/2-8 :(. I have two dividing heads now. This one and the one I built. This one is smaller than the one I built.

According to the docs online, if it's like an Ellis head it might have a #9 B&S taper.

According to the docs online, if it's like an Ellis head it might have a #9 B&S taper.
Although it is not an Ellis, it is very similar to one. I checked and it does have a B&S #9 taper

Back